Cable question
Oct 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 5
Not sure what you mean by balanced - please elaborate. On a related question, all three (computer, DAC, amp) have volume controls. The computer has both hardware & software controls. Which is best for optimum quality?

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:23 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Not sure what you mean by balanced - please elaborate. On a related question, all three (computer, DAC, amp) have volume controls. The computer has both hardware & software controls. Which is best for optimum quality?

The most common way of connecting amp to a DAC is using RCA connectors. Some high end audio devices offer different type of connectors, typically used in professional equipment - these are much better for longer distance connections (not because of connector type but different signal standards used). If your equipment had these, most likely you'd know about it. Looks like you should stick to USB, as that should have no problems up to 5m.
Regarding the volume: keep it at 100% on the computer and player, default level on the DAC (most likely max) and use the amp volume controls to set the right listening level.

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #5 of 5
Thank you; that all makes sense and helps. Yes, both the dac & amp have RCA connectors. I have good cables and connectors and am getting a good USB cable so that's the best I can do for now I suspect without getting into some stupid dosh. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back