Cable question
Jun 21, 2001 at 6:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

chych

The butter knife's second victim.
I am going to build the CMOY crossfeed filter however I am wondering about the cabling process...

Now, if I make the filter, I'll have to use RCA jacks rather than the minijacks suggested (speaking of, can someone suggest me some good ones? I'm just looking at Mouser #162-5121). However, does this require me to buy two sets of really expensive cables, one from source to filter, then filter to MG Head? Or is there some way of getting a really small connector or cable or something so I can connect the crossfeed filter directly into either my msb link dac or mg head... so that I can use some good cabling? Or... do I have to just stick with my RS Gold series interconnects...? (If I don't want to shell out that much money that is, or is it plain worth it upgrading interconnects if I use a crossfeed filter?)

Jun 21, 2001 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 4
chych,

Just so I'm sure I understand correctly:

You need two pairs of RCA-to-RCA interconnects? I know many of the better interconnects come in half-meter lengths (some probably shorter even). I believe in only going as long as you need them to be and no longer.

Jun 21, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Hmm come to think of it, yeah, I could probably get away with 2 pairs of really short cabling (like, I dunno, 3 inches a cable). I figure, I can use my 12 foot (
biggrin.gif
) radioshack cable as my digital cable and have my DAC, crossfeed filter, and MG Head very close to each other.

But this raises another question, how does the shortness of the cable matter? I've heard in places short cables (like y adapters) do nothing to the sound; so, would it be better to have a good short cable?

Jun 22, 2001 at 5:11 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally posted by chych
But this raises another question, how does the shortness of the cable matter? I've heard in places short cables (like y adapters) do nothing to the sound; so, would it be better to have a good short cable?

My opinion is everything counts, it's the degree to which anything in particular counts that comes into question. If one cable is of better design and construction than another, it should technically be better even though the run is short. Personally, I'd be more concerned about the cable the longer the run is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back