cable quality positioning decision
Aug 6, 2003 at 7:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dsavitsk

MOT: ECP Audio
I am in need of 2 cables, one to go from a cd player to my headphone amp which doubles as my line stage (Melos) and one to go from the Melos to my power amp. If I am going to spend $X, how should I split the money between them? Do I want to cables of equal quality (each one costs $X/2), do I want the one from the source to be the better one, and if so, what would the ratios be?

I figure I spend more time listening to headphones, but I do spend a fair amount of time w/ speakers, and I do have other sources than the cd player.

-d

Aug 6, 2003 at 11:42 AM Post #2 of 3
Try out some of the MagWires we've been talking about in another thread here. They are great wires for them money and will impress you. And don't let the low prices fool you. You get alot more than your money's worth!

MagWires Budget high end cable....

Within that thread, I also have a link to James Hess's e-mail address if you want to contact him.

Aug 6, 2003 at 9:00 PM Post #3 of 3
It depends on what kind of cable you're relegated to getting if you choose to get a better IC going from your source to melos. If it's a decent enough cable and provided it works synergistically with your other cables it should sound better than not having that better cable. I like to keep all my cables the same but a better cable is a better cable and if it gives you a better sound mixing rather than an exact match then it's the way to go. And you can always upgrade in the future. If you want to simply buy the cables and be done with it then get the exact cable for the match and don't worry about it. I'm not too familiar with the Melos but I would assume that getting a real preamp in the future would be more worthwhile than spending the extra on cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back