Cable protector
Feb 13, 2011 at 1:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

T-Jax

New Head-Fier
I want to repair some of my cheap headphones/earphones, and I was thinking of using 3.5 mm Neutrik jacks like this one. Unfortunately they seem to miss a "tail" / cable protector - like this one has, for example. Did anybody manage to make one? I was thinking of using one or maybe two overlayed heat shrink tubes where the cable gets out of the jack. Any other ideas?

Also, I know that there are better Neutrik jacks that don't have this problem, but they are too expensive for me. My options are also limited where I live when it comes to other brands at a resonable price.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 5
Why do you want the cable protector?  For strain relief?  I use non-conducting epoxy around my Techflex and on the body of the connector, and then heatshrink over it.  Seems to work pretty well.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 5
What you want is strain relief. Most people just use heatshrink out of the barrel of the plug. I think some people also hot glue their plugs too, but I'm not sure about that one.

Feb 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your replies.

Yes, I want strain relief - protection against bending around the plug and pulling. For bending, I guess I'm gonna go with heatshrink. For pulling, epoxy seems a bit too permanent, so I'm probably gonna use something like hot glue; I need to read a bit more about that.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Another item some use is a vinyl rubber cement. This is flexible when hardened and comes in black or clear tubes for windshield seam repair.
Rubber handle dip for coating metal plier handles can be brushed on and is an alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back