Cable Noise
Jan 8, 2004 at 8:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Shurenuff

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! I'm considering a purchase of a Zu Pivot mini to rca cable for use in a computer set up (soundcard to amp). Through my research of this future purchase, I've found that this cable isn't shielded. Will this create a situation where noise is more easily picked up through EMI and RFI? Or should I be fine as long as the cable doesn't touch anything? To me, it seems that the back of a computer is an area with potential to induce a noisy signal through an unshielded cable. As I'm really uninformed on this subject matter, any answers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
cool.gif

Jan 8, 2004 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 11
I would choose a different cable. Line-level cables need to be shielded, particularly for interference-rich applications like the one you describe. (This is based on personal experience building cables, rather than some unfounded prejudice -- shielding does make a difference.)

Jan 8, 2004 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 11
Get sheilded cables. My current unshielded mini to rca from my computer does induce noise to my system. PM Todd R, he sells some shielded mini to RCA ICs.

Jan 9, 2004 at 6:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the replies tortie and Wodgy! Any other recomendations? I need a 1.5 meter cable for $100 or less. Thanks.

Jan 9, 2004 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Wodgy
I would choose a different cable. Line-level cables need to be shielded, particularly for interference-rich applications like the one you describe. (This is based on personal experience building cables, rather than some unfounded prejudice -- shielding does make a difference.)

Zu reports:

"We have actually changed the Pivot cable and it is now fully shielded. All Pivots that are sent out are now the new cable. We are planning on releasing this on the website in the next month or two."

Hope this helps.

Jan 10, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Shurenuff
Thanks alot Jazz1!
smily_headphones1.gif

Just got a Kimber min to RCA from Headroom Headphones. I still want the Zu Pivot, but the Kimber is sounding darn nice. I dont' think the Kimber is shielded, but I could be wrong.

I'm not hearing any interference between my 1.25 Dual Mac and a Perreaux headphone amp.

I am using an LCD screen. I don't know if a CRT would cause more intereference with unshielded cables. I know that unshielded CRTs can cause have problems with unshielded speakers.

Jan 10, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Jazz1
I dont' think the Kimber is shielded, but I could be wrong.

No, you're right -- the Kimber isn't shielded. However, Kimber twists the strands into what they call a "tri-braid field geometry". Supposedly, shielding is unnecessary if the wires are twisted in this manner.

D..

Jan 10, 2004 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 11
It would probably be best to get a shielded cable.

However, the Zu has more than 80 pF capacitance. Capacitance rolls off higher EMI frequencies (80 or so is too low to roll off audio frequencies). That could help the Zu.

(80 pF or so should cause a -3 db role off at about 200 kHz, even with 10k output impedence)

You could also consider buying a cable with a ferrite choke, like the RS Fusion RCAs.

Jan 10, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
It would probably be best to get a shielded cable.

However, the Zu has more than 80 pF capacitance. Capacitance rolls off higher EMI frequencies (80 or so is too low to roll off audio frequencies). That could help the Zu.

(80 pF or so should cause a -3 db role off at about 200 kHz, even with 10k output impedence)

You could also consider buying a cable with a ferrite choke, like the RS Fusion RCAs.

Is the relationship of capacitance to frquency roll off linear? In other words if you double the capacitance to 160pF/ft, would you have a -3db role of at about 100khz with a 10kohm output indedence?

Jan 10, 2004 at 11:59 PM Post #11 of 11
If it wasn't used near your computer I would say you might get away with unshielded (some find unshielded to offer the best sound) but since it's near the computer I would be very worried.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back