Cable noise?
Feb 11, 2008 at 2:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

pretzelb

100+ Head-Fier
Is there a "trick" to avoid cable noise? I'm trying some Image IEMs and one issue I can't pinpoint is why I will get line noise from time to time. I'm not sure if that's the correct term but it's when I move my head and the cable rubs against my collar or something and appears to transfer a scrapping or rubbing noise to my ears. I think I have a good seal but maybe I need to try different inserts? Or maybe this is normal?

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #2 of 7
Well, I don't have Klipsch, but with my Shure's, I wear them over my ear, to reduce the cable noise (we call it microphonics). But even then I still hear some of that noise, so yeah, it's normal.

Feb 11, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a "trick" to avoid cable noise? I'm trying some Image IEMs and one issue I can't pinpoint is why I will get line noise from time to time. I'm not sure if that's the correct term but it's when I move my head and the cable rubs against my collar or something and appears to transfer a scrapping or rubbing noise to my ears. I think I have a good seal but maybe I need to try different inserts? Or maybe this is normal?

You're not the only one. I'm getting really bad microphonics from the Image cable. I must have been lucky with all my previous headphones, as I've never experienced cable noise before. Well, I think it's payback time - as just the act of breathing sets these off. At first, I didn't know what the noise even was. I assumed there was a glitch in the track I was listening to. . . until I realised the noise related to my breathing/moving/blinking/thinking
biggrin.gif

I can't walk around with them at all, they're too noisy. But they're fine if I'm lying down listening, (and not moving around.)

Quote:

I think I have a good seal but maybe I need to try different inserts?

I don't think using different ear gels would have any effect on the cable noise, as it's the act of disturbing the cable in any way that leads to the microphonics. For now, I'm enjoying them either lying down - or sitting down. Until I can find a way to reduce the noise further, I shan't be walking around with them. The noise goes through me like a deep electrical buzz - having never experienced this before, it takes some getting used to.

EDIT: Do you think this thread should be in the headphones forum instead of the Klipsch sponsor forum?

Feb 11, 2008 at 4:22 PM Post #4 of 7
Oh, maybe it should be moved to the other forum, I didn't think about that, my bad.

I'm trying the really large inserts now and it's kind of better but I'm not sure. What is strange is I think it is only coming from the right side. It's also strange that at times it drives me nuts and other times I don't notice it. It has to always be there so it just must be me.

I didn't think all IEMs did that. It seems like some of the cheap ones I have don't and some do. So I just assumed it was different for all of them but it sounds like it's a common issue with IEMs.

Feb 11, 2008 at 10:26 PM Post #5 of 7
Originally we experimented with woven cloth cable on IMAGE. We wanted the quality of the cable to feel old fashion or classical. These early prototypes with cloth cables on IMAGE were very noisy and microphonic but they were also SLA's (Stereo Lythogrophy) so the tails were not soft and added to the noise. So we optimized the tail to attenuate or diffusion the transmission of energy telegraphing up the cable. To improve this further we elected to use the smooth soft cable that you see on IMAGE today. This fixed the cable noise in general. If you are moving around though you will hear some noise, especially with out any signal driving your headphones.

For Custom there is natural attenuation of mechanical vibration due to the over ear approach, but it does not totally go away so you MUST CYNCH the cable behind your head. Now you have several points of low Q placement dampening the cable system. If you don't cynch the cable it will be worse. This allowed us to use the cloth cable which is much better at flexing in cold temperatures and give you that high quality tactile feel.

Hope this clears up the noise issue.

Keep Thumpin!

Oct 25, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Sorry to bring up a older thread, but I have tried it over my ear, which works alright. However, the issue arises when there is a breeze and or anything of that sort. Is there any other options? Has anyone gotten their X5 recabled? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back