Cable Maintenance and/or Replacing Cables
Jan 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

PhantomGypsy

New Head-Fier
So, I wreck headphones. Within a couple of months of getting a new pair, the cable is bust. It happens every time, and I can't figure out how to stop it. It's always the same thing - sound only comes through one ear, but if I move the cable around the jack, stereo returns. Sadly, that lands me holding my cable in one position for hours on end. This has happened with every pair of headphones I've gotten in the last 3-5 years, be they IEMs or Over-ears; my Klipsch S4s, Musical Fidelity EB-50s, Sennheiser HD 205s, Razer Tiamat 7.1s, the list goes on. The thing is, I just got my ATH-M50s, and I really love these things. I really don't want this to happen again, so does anyone have any tips on either keeping cables intact or making and replacing cables in headphones? It's really depressing to have a pair of headphones break after two months.

Sorry for asking such a noob question, but I really need help with this.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #6 of 10
For sure, anytime
evil_smiley.gif

Oh I should mention the Sennheiser HD 280 has a replaceable cable too. But you have to take the cup apart.
And I never found the HD 280 comfortable, so I excluded it. But comfort is subjective.

Jan 4, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #7 of 10
Hmm, alright. God, I can feel myself getting sucked into the expensive world of audio.

One last thing, and I don't know if I should start another thread for this or what, but I'm wondering how I can make cables from scratch. I googled "how to make an auxilary cable" and all I get is a bunch of stuff about Macgyvering cheap headphones. Is there a decent guide on how to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back