cable lube
Dec 16, 2008 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shartyA

New Head-Fier
My Optocoupler mk2 is stiff when inserting. Van Del Hul recommends their "the solution" for lubing it. I was wondering what alternative "lubes" there are besides The solution for my optical cable.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 6
Since toslink isn't an electrical connection, I think any old lube would work just fine. Why not some WD-40 rubbed on the plastic part? Seems much cheaper.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #3 of 6
True it's cheaper but at what cost. I want to use something backed by a manufacturer claim that it's safe to use on optical cables so I don't void my warranties. I would buy the solution but for the price I can almost buy a new cable if it breaks.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 6
I wouldn't be worried about voiding your warranty. WD-40 is non corrosive, and safe to use on plastic. Worst possible outcome is some gets on the transmitting portion of the cable and you can't get a lock. I sincerely doubt that, though. Apply it lightly to a Q-tip first and only treat the base of the plug. If you're really concerned, you could plug the end of the cable with a 2nd q-tip while you apply the lube.

Dec 16, 2008 at 9:50 PM Post #5 of 6
The only "manufacturer-approved" product is likely to be the one the manufacturer makes. If WD-40 will void your warranty, just about anything would.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back