Cable loaner program for Audio-gd Phoenix and Reference 1 owners
Sep 3, 2009 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ServinginEcuador

Founder of the Head-Fi Pay-to-Post Program.
After getting and trying my own set of DIY cables I wanted to get a feeler out to see if there was enough interest to justify building two sets of cables as a loaner program open to Head-Fiers.

The purpose of this is NOT to see if you can hear the differences between and blindly identify copper vs silver wire. This is an opportunity for people to listen to different options and decide if they hear any differences in their system using different metals, and then decide which cable they prefer: stock, copper or silver.

Here's how it will work:

1. I will build two sets of cables. One will be from CryoParts TWCu copper. The other will be from the CryoParts SCSCag silver wire.

2. It will include a 15" set of DC power cables and a 24" set of CAST cables. The 15" DC power cables for the Phoenix allow for a side-by-side configuration with a little slack. If you need a longer CAST cable you won't be able to participate. The SCSCag is somewhat costly, and adding another 8' of wire to go from 2' to 3' isn't something I want to add to the cost right now.

3. You will have a week from their arrival to spend with the cables to give plenty of time for listening and comparing to your stock cables.

4. When you're done please add your thoughts on each to this loaner thread, along with your cable preference.

Rules:

1. You must have 100+ posts.
2. You must have NO negative feedbacks here
3. You can only be added to the loaner list via PM to me. Please include just your first name, city and state so I can get an idea of how to arrange the list to minimize lengthy shipments that will cost us precious time.
4. You will be responsible for the shipping costs from your location to whoever happens to be the next person on the list. If you don't want to incur this don't include yourself. A week after you confirm receipt PM the next person on the list for their. If you don't PM them, they will likely PM you with a hurry up request!
tongue.gif

5. Confirm two things inside the loaner thread: the condition of the cables upon receipt, confirmation of when you've shipped the cables to the next person. This keeps it honest for the item below:
6. You break it, you bought it! Posting that the cables arrived damaged will mean the last sender will have to pay for repairs/replacement, as necessary. No claims of "It arrived that way." due to #5 above. IOW - enjoy, but be careful with them so everyone can enjoy them!
7. No one outside the US or Canada for now. Sending overseas will be quite costly, hard to track, and take too much time. My apologies, but it has to be this way for now.

Post here or PM with questions. If we get enough participants I'll go ahead and post that here, and start the list going.

Sep 3, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 6
sounds like an awesome program. Really nice to see people reaching out to other audiophiles around the country in the name of pureness of sound

Sep 3, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 6
I am in. Sending PM shortly.

Sep 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #4 of 6
I just received my custom cables from Lee. They are not just his normal copper wire but something better and braided in a special geometry and special dampening methods employed, and I think wrapped in ERS paper and sheathed in smooth black nylon. You could ask him for more details. I have a pair of AGSS cables (formerly known as CAST) and a pair of DC cables for the Phoenix.

I won't be able to use the CAST cables until I get the Reference One back but I've tried out his DC cables for a little bit. They definitely make an improvement. How much is hard to say until I've had more listening time, but first impressions reveal that his cables are more dynamic compared to the stock silver Sharkwire which sounds flat in comparison. At the moment I'm using the XLR outs from my Transporter (with the Sharkwire XLR cables).

This is a great idea Doug and I'm sure many people will appreciate it. Good job!

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 6
Yes ! A terrific idea !

My problem is the back and forth across the Can-US border WRT customs charges (taxes/brokerage fees etc).......how could this be worked out without incurring any charges that should not apply (both coming into Canada and then back to the USA to the next individual on the rotation list ?)

Peete.

PS : PM sent
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #6 of 6
Maybe the recipient pays for the shipping?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back