Cable internet help needed.
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Headphoneus Supremus
I posted this on HardForums as well.

Okay. This is bar none one of the weirdest problems I've ever had.

My internet connection is super flaky now for no reason. The problem started a week ago.

I have a Netgear WGR614 v6 and a Linksys WRT54g v5 to test around with for troubleshooting. The Netgear WGR614 v6 is my main router (better wireless in my experience).

Now the internet works with direct connect somewhat well, but when any router including the VOIP system is hooked up nothing works. Like heres what I mean... One device is fine. One computer, one router (no other attachments), only VOIP (nothing on the ext. ethernet port), etc. But as soon as the modem has to assign more than one IP it messes up. Heres where things are really weird. The cable company insists I have a Dell computer hooked up to the modem even though there is a router in front of the Dell but their system doesn't refresh and can't see the router or the other devices at all.

Everything was working perfectly before then last week it just stopped working. Many phone calls and a visit from Time Warner and a modem replacement was useless.

I'm really frustrated because it doesn't seem to be a router problem either, I mean it works with my friends connections.

After the modem replacement I can't even use 192.168.1.1 to get to my routers because I think the new modem has that as its IP. I really need this working because we can't function without multiple connections to the internet (VOIP + 3 computers for the home office).

Any ideas would really help! The cable company wasn't of any real help... Insisted it was a router issue although there was no config change when it went out last week.

I'm really lost/frustrated....Considering another high speed service but Time Warner is our only choice where I live.

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 4
I have time warner cable, and I have to specify that I have 3 4 computers, otherwise only one works. Let them know of that, and they should give you a "4-ip" pack on your account for no additional fee. I am not sure how this works, because you only need one external address for the router, and the rest should be internal getting dhcp address from th router. Its weird, but it worked for me.

Jan 30, 2008 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have time warner cable, and I have to specify that I have 3 4 computers, otherwise only one works. Let them know of that, and they should give you a "4-ip" pack on your account for no additional fee. I am not sure how this works, because you only need one external address for the router, and the rest should be internal getting dhcp address from th router. Its weird, but it worked for me.

I. Love. You.

In an internet sort of way.
tongue.gif

I sorta had to ask for an 8 pack but yeah now everything works...

My Netgear router is bricked though. Had to buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back