Cable housing - quick question
Jul 13, 2011 at 11:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Naim.F.C

1000+ Head-Fier
Basically, my Westone 4 had slightly messy cable ends, where all these little cable plastic bits stick out near the end of the actual 3.5mm jack (like it's unravelling). It bothered me since it looks a bit cheap and isn't clean enough. See image below (mine was worse with more little bits sticking out).

As a result I've gone ahead and snipped off a few of the excess strands of plastic with a nail clipper to make it all look neater. This won't affect the sound quality or any other aspect of the audio in any way will it?

I know nothing about cables, and am just a bit worried lol. Appreciate the help. 

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #2 of 3
lol the messy ends are probably the by-product of having it manufactured in China without excellent QC.  nothing wrong with products made in China as devices such as the i-devices are excellently assembled and industry leaders in QC.  

Think Westone just need to hire a better QC team to oversee production.

The UM 1s that I bought for my daughter and are made in America has no such fraying problems with the cable fresh out of the box.  I have the same fraying when I bought mine. Shouldn't affect sound unless you cut though them.

Jul 14, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
lol the messy ends are probably the by-product of having it manufactured in China without excellent QC.  nothing wrong with products made in China as devices such as the i-devices are excellently assembled and industry leaders in QC.  

Think Westone just need to hire a better QC team to oversee production.

The UM 1s that I bought for my daughter and are made in America has no such fraying problems with the cable fresh out of the box.  I have the same fraying when I bought mine. Shouldn't affect sound unless you cut though them.

I did cut them, but only the excess plastic strands. Obviously not the two main wires/cables themselves, just the other random little bits that were sticking out (they didn't even look like they were part of the two main threaded cables). That wouldn't affect SQ would it? Just a bit worried now lol.

Also, I agree about the QC. Amazing products, but still room for some minor refinements, namely in build quality and design.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back