Cable for Senn HD600 and RKV
Jun 16, 2003 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

ManiacSmile

100+ Head-Fier
I'm not sure if this thread should be here or in the cable - tweaks section so mods please forgive me.
I'm about to recieve the RKV and planning to pair them with my HD580/HD600 cans. The question is: based on that combo (don't worry about the source, sources come and go 8) what would be the sonic difference in using Cardas or Equinox cables with Senns ? How would they emphisize or dither the sound of the combo ? What kind of music either of them is more suitable for ?
Thanks in advance for the input.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #2 of 20
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...&threadid=8751

That's a link to the best comparison I know of the cables in question (Jude's). Do a search in the cables forum, there is literally hundreds of posts on this very topic.

I feel (based on my use of the Equinox) that Jude's impressions are very accurate - I may soon look into obtaining a Cardas cable to compare myself.

With the RKV's rolled off highs and not-incredibly-detailed nature, I would recommend the Cardas to try first.

-dd3mon

Jun 16, 2003 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 20
i thoroughly enjoyed the hd600/cardas combination with the rkv for quite a while.

who ever said the rkv isn't detailed? sounds more like a factor of the hd600's to me..

Jun 16, 2003 at 10:08 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
i thoroughly enjoyed the hd600/cardas combination with the rkv for quite a while.

who ever said the rkv isn't detailed? sounds more like a factor of the hd600's to me..

I made that remark based on kelly's review - compared to some solid state amps such as the Prehead or Gilmore. I have no first hand experience; the general consensus is that the RKV is rolled off on the highs, but there have not been many comments about the detail level - I took my statement from kelly's views alone (my only reference), so take it as you will.

-dd3mon

Jun 17, 2003 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 20
dd3mon,

Thanks for the link - I read it a while ago, but forgot about it. I'm still hoping to hear from people who use RKV/HD600 with aftermarket cables and curious of the pros/cons of those combos.

Edit: Kelly, if you come across this thread, I know that for a while (and maybe still is) RKV/Cardas/HD600 was you favorite set-up. Do you still think that Cardas would be the better choice for it ?

Jun 17, 2003 at 4:55 AM Post #6 of 20
You're all insane.

I hated the cardas-RKV combination, it just sounded strange, the equinox seemed to fit the amp much, much better.

Jun 17, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
You're all insane.

I hated the cardas-RKV combination, it just sounded strange, the equinox seemed to fit the amp much, much better.

what do you know, you damn punk kid.

i believe kelly has tried the equinox cable in his setup and found he liked the cardas a lot better. depends on what you like i guess.

Jun 17, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #8 of 20
hahahahaha grinchmeister....
Quote:

what do you know, you damn punk kid.

i believe kelly has tried the equinox cable in his setup and found he liked the cardas a lot better. depends on what you like i guess.

Jun 18, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #9 of 20
It really is a matter of taste. One is not better than the other. I brought my RKV to the Chicago meet and most everyone AB the Cardas and the Equinox since you can easily do that with the RKV and enough headphones. There were some that like the Cardas best and others liked the Equinox. I would suggest trying each since they have return privileges. I still use my Blue Clou as I didn't notice enough improvement to warrant the cost to upgrade. I actually had a Cardas on order before the meet and cancelled afterwards due to the comparisons.

Jun 18, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #10 of 20
Audio Addict,

Thanx, I began thinking along those lines. Probably I'll just have to break-in my RKV and then see based on the finalized sound what's lacking/suffice, and then return either cable.

Jun 21, 2003 at 12:44 AM Post #11 of 20
I can't believe you would buy a setup like that (RKV/HD600) and say you dont worry about the source. They will only produce what your source can give them. When you get your cable, and get all setup carry your amp and phones to a mid/high end Dealer and see what your system is really like. You will never no until you give it a source up to there level. If I was using something as nice as this I would give it a source to match.

Jun 21, 2003 at 2:06 AM Post #12 of 20
Tom,

no, no, no you misunderstood me. I meant that at this point I'm not settled on that particular model of CDP or SACD, so that other memebers wouldn't try to combine the sound of the source and RKV/HD600 in their response, but rather talk about the RKV/HD600 signature and the influence of the aftermarket cables. You're absolutely right about the value of the source in the chain, no doubt about that. I just wanted to exclude sources in this discussion.

Jun 21, 2003 at 3:04 AM Post #13 of 20
I'm sorry. I thought it was strange that you would take the time to put together such a good system and then ignore the source. Again I apologize for misunderstanding what you said.

Jun 22, 2003 at 7:16 PM Post #14 of 20
Tom,

Don't worry about that, it was just I minor misunderstanding. Even though the majority of the members on this forum try to maintain the same level of politness and tact, I wish some individiuals were as courteusness as you in their responses.

wink.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 2:39 AM Post #15 of 20
Maniacsmile: I'm real interested in your experiences once you get your RKV. I just got mine (Kelly's old one) and am using it with Senn 600s with the stock cable. Not sure if I'm going to use the impedanzer or not, will have to play around with it some more.

About sources, I'm sure yours isn't worse than my present one (hint-I'm typing on it). Unfortunately, the wood shipping case and size of the RKV attracted a bit too much spousal attention here, I may have to hold off buying a quality source until the heat cools down a little.

In the meantime, I'm extremely happy with the RKV so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back