Cable for K702s
Feb 19, 2010 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

eversharp

New Head-Fier
This subject may have been done to death, but my searches haven't revealed much (other than the DIY discussion a few posts down)

I've only recenty returned to my early interest in high end audio (things have changed since the mid1970s!) I bought my system all at once built around AKG K702s, and all of my components are in varying stages of burn-in.

source: Emotiva ERC1 CD transport

to a DAC Paradisea 3

Amp Audio Tailor Jade- fully burned in but I suspect it may be under powered for the 702s. I can hear clipping in female voice during crescendos. I've done some tube rolling. Still deciding between the Raytheon 5751 windmill getter and the Sylvania 5751 black plate for the driver. Power tube has much less influence on the sound with the Jade.

702s have about 200 hours burn-in so far.

I've been somewhat disappointed with the sound, though I know it's early days yet. Rather feeble, though improving, bass. Sometimes irritating top end, not sparkling but harsh. Different recordings produce better or worse top end. Mids could be fuller.

So I looked at the 6moons review of the K702, and they used Ken Ball's ALO Audio silver plated cables for the test. Looked them up, and they cost $275 for 10 feet, a bit more than the cost of the headphones.

I just can't justify that without some backup from the experts. Do cables make THAT much difference? What's the best route, DIY, midrange or sell the family silverware? Opinions on the audio boards are all over the map, and they seem to be just that, opinions.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
eversharp

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 9
You could start off by buying a cheap cable for the K702s, something in the $50-$75 range, and see if you can even hear a difference in sound between the two. That's really the only way to tell for you if you are on the fence between being a cable believer and non-believer.

If you already don't believe better cables make a difference, then there's no point, if you already do, then you might as well.

In my opinion, cables can make some difference, but not a very large one. If I had to quantify it I'd say it can add that last 5% to your system, but if you aren't already somewhere near the best you can get then I wouldn't bother and I'd spend the money elsewhere in my system.

A good start in upgrades would be a Heed Canamp, one of the best known low budget amps for the AKGs if not the best known amp. Then work towards a better DAC.

However, if you don't like the sound signature of the AKGs then a cable or even an amp change aren't going to make them into your dream headphones. If you find for instance that they don't have anywhere near enough bass, or that they're too uninvolving, nothing is going to change that (burn-in could bring up the bass a bit but if you find that there is nowhere NEAR enough bass, then don't get your hopes up, as for being uninvolving that's not gonna change, at all).

If that's the case, sell em and get some new cans.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Hi,

Actually I have the Heed Canamp + K701 combo and I'm very pleased. So pleased that I actually bought the Moon Audio Black Dragon cables for them. I havn't got them yet, but I can post an impression once I do receive them.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could start off by buying a cheap cable for the K702s, something in the $50-$75 range.......

But where do you get such cables? I bought a Loops extension cable for £5 off ThatCable on ebay for my Goldrings and the sound improvement is well worth the money. I emailed them and asked if they do a version with the mini XLR connection that AKG use and the answer was no. So like the OP, all I can find are super expensive options.

Feb 20, 2010 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 9
Everyone seems to like the Heed canamp with the k702s. But I'm kinda dedicated to tubes because, well, I'm an old fart and grew up with and was tantalized with my daddy's fisher gear, and because philosophically I am drawn to "obsolete" technology (I build bamboo fllyrods, collect vintage fountain pens, mechanical watches and now tubes).

I think my next amp upgrade will be a tube amp with output transformers to provide the necessary current for low impedance headphones. Meanwhile, I might try some 300-600 ohm cans like Beyers or Senns.

I see myself edging toward the "blue jeans cables" philosophy simply because I find it ludicrous to pay more for interconnects than for components. Until I actually hear a difference, of course.

eversharp
(yes, eversharps were very fine fountain pens, especially the '20s and 30s models! )

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:08 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prog Rock Man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But where do you get such cables? I bought a Loops extension cable for £5 off ThatCable on ebay for my Goldrings and the sound improvement is well worth the money. I emailed them and asked if they do a version with the mini XLR connection that AKG use and the answer was no. So like the OP, all I can find are super expensive options.

You could always go the DIY Re-Cable. I did this a few days ago and love the results. I'm going to do it again, but this time instead of using the L-4E6S, use a smaller cable like the L-4E5C. I used the Female Mini-XLR (TA3FX) Connector, which works great! I leave the 1/8" or 1/4" up to your choosing.
ThuFeb18172043EST2010.jpg
FriFeb19094052EST2010.jpg

Feb 20, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for the pictures and the message and offer to make me a cable. I am going to sus out having a go myself.

Feb 21, 2010 at 8:07 AM Post #8 of 9
@ Prog Rock Man
You can also use Vandamme Starquad cables. THIS is the link to Farnell (sorry about the language, just take the part number and switch to farnell.co.uk)

I've tried to get a hold of Canare starquads for months but in our old Europe they're tough to find.
I do have a short lead that I use occasionally as interconnect between DAC and amp. It's very good for very little money.

The Vandamme starquad is basically the same (physically and sonically)

Mar 11, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #9 of 9
FYI: I just recently built a cable for gaming using my K240s Headphones... and have received inquiries to build more for use on the K702s. Just thought this was a good thread to show you my new cable... The Mic is removable, so this can be used for listening to music as well as for gaming.
MonMar08155746EST2010.jpg
MonMar08160305EST2010.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back