Cable for K702
Mar 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #31 of 46
A silver cable will make the already bright 702's brighter. IIRC, the 702's have OFC stock, so unless you go Super gauge or Cryo, the improvment would probably be negligable to most listeners if they just get a different OFC cable. Here is a perfect oportunity to DIY. You can get a switchcraft Mini-XLR, and solder it to a good OFC or SPOFC cable from Milian with a 3.5 or 6.3 Neutricks already terminated at one end. Or do the whole cable yourself.

Mar 21, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #32 of 46
From the forums I've read, not too many people have love for the AKGs, K701 and K702. Was thinking of buying a pair to compliment my Millet Hybrid. Is that a bad buy? I plan to upgrade the cable if I get the K702.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A silver cable will make the already bright 702's brighter. IIRC, the 702's have OFC stock, so unless you go Super gauge or Cryo, the improvment would probably be negligable to most listeners if they just get a different OFC cable. Here is a perfect oportunity to DIY. You can get a switchcraft Mini-XLR, and solder it to a good OFC or SPOFC cable from Milian with a 3.5 or 6.3 Neutricks already terminated at one end. Or do the whole cable yourself.

That is more or less what I plan to do with my friend who has a K701, we will be buying a long mogami cable with Neutrik 1/4 jacks at both ends, cutting it in half and adding a mini xlr for my K702, and he will need to open his K701 to adapt it.

By the way, I see you have/have had the GS1000, how do you compare them with hte K702?

Cheers

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #34 of 46
if only i know how to solder, sure love to DIY.

Mar 21, 2009 at 5:44 PM Post #35 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandrakespain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is more or less what I plan to do with my friend who has a K701, we will be buying a long mogami cable with Neutrik 1/4 jacks at both ends, cutting it in half and adding a mini xlr for my K702, and he will need to open his K701 to adapt it.

By the way, I see you have/have had the GS1000, how do you compare them with hte K702?

Cheers

I can only comment on my short listening expereince with the GS1K's. One because I found then not to my liking and also they apparently died just after I sold them so My dislike for them could be due partially to drivers just about to go bad. FWIR, the soundstage was really nice but they could not handle higher volumes. They are said to shine at lower volumes, but there something wriong when they get distorted so easily at higher volumes. I'm not a LOUD listener at all but I'm talking not above a 4 on a scale of one to 10. I didn't like the foam pads.(scratchy and cheap to me).I understand that the lesser Grados (RS-1/2 and SR series) are a much better bang for the buck than the dowager flagship GS1K's The 702's seem to be a much more professional job IMHO. they were a bit bright for me but still, EQ'able. ( I Likt to EQ just a tad). I would still have them but I wanted the Denon 7K's and it was time to move on to my next audition.

Mar 22, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #36 of 46
I've been searching for posts regarding cable upgrades for the K701 and 2. Apuresound has been recommended as a possibility, but because it's a silver/copper hybrid, I'm a little unsure about it as a good choice for these cans, which are already pretty bright. Has anyone any experience with this upgrade?

Mar 22, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #38 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only comment on my short listening expereince with the GS1K's. One because I found then not to my liking and also they apparently died just after I sold them so My dislike for them could be due partially to drivers just about to go bad. FWIR, the soundstage was really nice but they could not handle higher volumes. They are said to shine at lower volumes, but there something wriong when they get distorted so easily at higher volumes. I'm not a LOUD listener at all but I'm talking not above a 4 on a scale of one to 10. I didn't like the foam pads.(scratchy and cheap to me).I understand that the lesser Grados (RS-1/2 and SR series) are a much better bang for the buck than the dowager flagship GS1K's The 702's seem to be a much more professional job IMHO. they were a bit bright for me but still, EQ'able. ( I Likt to EQ just a tad). I would still have them but I wanted the Denon 7K's and it was time to move on to my next audition.

Thanks for your comments, it may be just a case of bad luck whit a defective unit, although I know Grados are not for everybody, my own experience with a pair of SR325 was not very good, I found them really aggresive with highs, and quite "flat" in their presentation of music, but that could be just me....as a matter of fact I am enjoying right now a lot more the SR60 I plan to give to my nephew for his birthday next month (somebody has to burn them in, right?
tongue_smile.gif
)

Mar 23, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by ztsen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if only i know how to solder, sure love to DIY.

Cables are easy to do for your first DIY. I've made a few myself with no experience at all, and they came out fine. Cost of making one that looks pretty, well the cost of a heatgun was too much for me considering I don't make enough cables. I stick to the lighter and doesn't look perfect, oh well. But for my Senn cables I decided to have someone else build em for cosmetic reasons.

I found this site awesome for a beginner like myself. I bought a soldering iron, the clamp for wires and small parts from here.
http://www.curiousinventor.com/

Incredibly useful clamp for cable
http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/116

I bought this Weller Soldering Iron
http://www.curiousinventor.com/store/product/109

But in hind sight, I would not buy that soldering iron. Found out there are some Hakko soldering station clones. I will probably get one myself, here is a link to one.
http://www.amazon.com/Aoyue-937-Digi.../dp/B000I30QBW

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #41 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.J /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been searching for posts regarding cable upgrades for the K701 and 2. Apuresound has been recommended as a possibility, but because it's a silver/copper hybrid, I'm a little unsure about it as a good choice for these cans, which are already pretty bright. Has anyone any experience with this upgrade?

I've heard the K701 with the pure silver Moon Silver Dragon and the pure silver RAL Paradise cables. They both sounded great, with my preference being for the RAL. I had the K501 with the APS V2, and I liked the detail, clarity and body that APS provided over-and-above (way above, as a matter of fact) the stock cable.

Mar 23, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #42 of 46
I mainly got the Blue Dragon so I could walk around my apartment and I thought it would sound better than using an extension -- I got the 20' cable. There is not a huge difference in sound, but everything did seem a bit clearer during A-B comparisons. Music is also louder at the same volume setting on the amp.

Mar 24, 2009 at 11:31 AM Post #44 of 46
i heed the advice. will order DIY parts for blue dragon. hopefully can find a gd set of DIY solder kit.

Apr 6, 2009 at 4:58 PM Post #45 of 46
Hi, has anyone tried the AOL cable for k702?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back