Cable for Grado SR 225
Apr 21, 2006 at 10:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

gigit

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I've been reading these forums for quite some time now.... but I have been too scared for my wallet to join until now, and was wondering if anyone could help me decide on something. I have been looking at recabling or getting recabled my Grado SR-225s for some time now but i can't decide what cable/from whom. I have looked a lot at Headphile's recable and various other places, any imput is greatly appreciated
eggosmile.gif

Thanks

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:34 PM Post #2 of 19
You might try a forum search for Grado Mods.

It dosen't appear that cable mods for Grados are all that popular. I do recall reading of some, but more mods are on pads, screens, and "existing" cable mods; installing quick-disconnects for example.

There are probably more, but the searches I have made for mods have been more for curiosity up til now.

Oh, by the way, are you having a problem that's cable related?

Apr 21, 2006 at 11:41 PM Post #3 of 19
Thanks for the reply.
No, i am not having a cable related problem, i have heard many places that when recabled the grado SR 225s can get close to sounding like the RS-1s (ive heard it from various forums and from people at high end audio equiptment stores).
oh and I already have a plan for the screens and pads from searching for such things as "grado mods" "grado recable" and such

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gigit
Thanks for the reply.
No, i am not having a cable related problem, i have heard many places that when recabled the grado SR 225s can get close to sounding like the RS-1s (ive heard it from various forums and from people at high end audio equiptment stores).
oh and I already have a plan for the screens and pads from searching for such things as "grado mods" "grado recable" and such

Glad to hear that you're not having a cable problem! I am a bit surprised that a simple recabling could make a 225 sound near to an RS-1; but, the SR225 IS a pretty good sounding set of cans right out of the box!!

I've gone the pad route with my MS-1s but haven't mustered the courage to disect plastic quite yet!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 19
Larry at Headphile recabled my SR 225's with Black Max and the sound has improved for the much better, but I also had woodies and C-Pads. However, I've read that many feel the cable is the most significant sonic upgrade. I personally believe the woodies and C-Pads definitely do their part too though.
With all the changes, my SR225's sound like a different can compared to the stock SR225 (for the better though).

Sorry if I made this more confusing for you now
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by demasoni
Larry at Headphile recabled my SR 225's with Black Max and the sound has improved for the much better, but I also had woodies and C-Pads. However, I've read that many feel the cable is the most significant sonic upgrade. I personally believe the woodies and C-Pads definitely do their part too though.
With all the changes, my SR225's sound like a different can compared to the stock SR225 (for the better though).

Sorry if I made this more confusing for you now
evil_smiley.gif

My wallet has asked me on numerous ocassions that I NOT visit Larrys' web-site, but I gotta admit.....(I peeked!)

I wouldn't send my MS-1, and I wouldn't get woodies on metal bassed MS-2s either. But if I had a set of RS-2s that needed larger chambers out of a more exotic wood.....hmmmm.....and a cable set with matching wood accents........arrrrgh!!!
frown.gif

Apr 22, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #7 of 19
Cool, thanks for the imput... I was planning getting my headphones woodied and recabled from Larry, its hard for me being a college student... its books vs headphones sometimes... books win out then i work a bunch of extra hours to buy audio equiptment... right now im running my grados through my iRiver H320 and a Cmoy self made headphone amp (which i plan to replace with a Hornet as soon as i can save up enough money
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Apr 22, 2006 at 5:38 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
(1) It highly questionable whether cables make a difference in the sound out of a pair of headphones (being kind).

LOL, questionable by whom? Someone that hasn’t tried it?

If you’ve tried different cables on headphones then you would know it’s not highly questionable, it’s actually not questionable at all.

It makes a distinctive difference in sound to any!

Apr 22, 2006 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

LOL- keep telling yourself that... then take it to the right forum.

We're here to talk headphones, not cables.

Yeah and the cables are part of my HEADPHONES which directly effect the sound. So is relevant to the discussion. Besides, this thread was started by gigit which was specifically asking about changing the sound of his headphones with cables.

Why are you crapping on HIS thread?

Anyway. Gigit, I’ve tried different wire on a few headphones.

I tried a stock HJD650 cable on my HD600’s. I tried a ZuCable Mobius cable. I tried CAT5e solid core wire on HD600’s and a AKG 701. I also tried an HD600 cable on a KOSS 75 and on a Senn HD-25. I also tried a nice silver coated copper wire in Teflon for the HD600’s and I also made a 10 foot extension cord with this wire that has a distinctive sound all to its own in combination with whatever else you are using.

I just got a pair of Grado SR-225’s. I like them quite a bit so for, surprisingly so. I really never liked Grado very much. I listed for a long time with a Grado amp (Meridian CD source). I then listened for some time with my iPod and then again with my Van Alstine Preamp which is tubed (Arcam FMJ CD source). I finally used the DIY extension cable and was pleasantly surprised at the improvement, I wasn’t expecting it. But I really should be surprised. When I used this wire with my HD-600’s it significantly improved the sound to my liking. I found the wire to increase bass response and improve soundstage and transparency. The CAT5e was also an improvement but it was quite different. The CAT5e didn’t improve bass response at all but did increased vocal presence (more forward), sound stage and transparency which is either for or against your liking. Wire changes aren’t’ always an improvement but they are certainly different.

My experience is that all wire types sound different and it comes down to personal taste and synergy between components.

I recently put a HD650 cable on my 600’s and have thoroughly broken them in. There is a subtle improvement compared to the stock cable and the lightness of the cable is convenient but I much prefer the sound of the silver/copper/Teflon wire.
BTW: The ZuCable Moboius cable is also silver/copper and sound very much like the cable I DIY’ed. I think my homebrewed cable is slightly less focused then the Zu but I would say it 85% there and cost a fraction to make myself. The ZuCable is my favorite sounding cable so far.

Apr 22, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:

Headphone recabling is one of those things that makes the term "audiophile" a punchline, and most wish it would go away.

If you want to talk about the sparkling "sound" of silver or the darker "sound" of copper, as I said, there is a forum for it, and it's "DBT Free" too keep anyone from insisting on evidence for a reason.

Go there and enjoy the conversation. Out here, is it too much to ask that we stick to extolling the virtues of the phones themselves?

What the hell is your problem? He's asking for help and you try to "warn" him of people trolling, while you're the only person who's actually trolling.

Headphile is probably the best place to have them recabled (probably the only place) but you should talk to head-fier GrandEnigma1 and see if he could do it too.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by bolo_fd
boead,

where did u find the silver/copper/teflon cable and how much is it per foot?

I’m not exactly sure but I’ve seen very similar stuff here and there. Maybe on eBay and/or maybe here: http://schmarder.com/radios/sale/wire.htm

I’m sure I didn’t pay more then $30 for a 100+ feet.

The solid Litz I found in cotton serving was not cheap. A single conductor in a Type-4 Litz brain at about 18AWG was around $5 a foot.

Apr 22, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #14 of 19
wow the solid litz is almost the same price of cardas. have u tried cardas 4x24? maybe u should try that for ur sr225, then u can let me know how it compares
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2006 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Why tolerate friction out here when you could discuss the subject without fear of "proof" being demanded in a dedicated forum for the subject? They made it "DBT-free" for a reason...

I like to live dangerously! Dangerous is my middle name, well actually its my confirmation name but that’s not here or there, baby!

Yes, they are outrageous. Why? First off, if a moderator really thought it was out of line (or forum) they would have closed the thread and/or moved it (they still might). Secondly, you’re a buttinsky and a thread crapper. Do you have nothing else to do then take on the roll of moderator?

“…
I remember the first time I saw someone lying on the cold street
I thought, I can't just walk past you, this can't just be true.
But I learned by example to just keep moving my feet.
It's amazing the things that we all learn to do…”

Rodbac, why don’t’ you just learn by example and umm, just keep moving your feet right along to the next thread.

So my guess is that your answer is number 3.

soup_nazi.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back