Cable: Does 6.3mm SE sound better than 4.4mm balanced
Jan 10, 2022 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
I am torn apart right now. I ordered an expensive cable(4.4mm) as an upgrade for HifiMAN Arya stock(6.3mm SE)

I am trying to "troubleshoot"

Does anybody experience 6.3mm SE sound better than 4.4mm balanced?

Stock SE cable sounds more: relaxed, rich, warm, soft/wellrounded.

Expensive cable 4.4mm balanced sounds more: stressed, harsh/sensitive highs, sterile, compressed/smaller soundstage, tight.

tested on ifi diablo idsd

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 7:34 PM Post #2 of 8
A 6.3mm plug does not normally sound better than a 4.4mm plug.
Might be a issue with the new cable or a defect in the ifi diablo idsd's balanced headphone jack.
Make sure the 4.4mm is plugged in all the way.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #3 of 8
I am torn apart right now. I ordered an expensive cable(4.4mm) as an upgrade for HifiMAN Arya stock(6.3mm SE)

I am trying to "troubleshoot"

Stock SE cable sounds more: relaxed, rich, warm, soft/wellrounded.

Expensive cable 4.4mm balanced sounds more: stressed, harsh/sensitive highs, sterile, compressed/smaller soundstage, tight.

tested on ifi diablo idsd
Bright headphones sound harsh with more power. However there is no way soundstage can be smaller in balanced mode. Check with other headphone.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 8
I don’t have any equipment that you are questioning about. But with the 1A/1Z Sony Walkmans there are actual differences in the amp. Meaning there are two amps in the players, one for 3.5mm and one for 4.4mm.

But the two amps have a slight personality difference that they affect onto the signature. Now truly this depends on the headphones or IEMs. As it’s true there are a few members which prefer single ended 3.5mm from the devices and consider 4.4mm secondary. But even in those cases it’s only one headphone/IEM out of their whole collection that seems to benefit from such sound?

Typically it’s 4.4mm that they use. And yes, it truly is a different amp with different capacitors and transistors. So? In a way this is a style of marketing (it is with Sony anyway). As engineers may say there is no proof of balanced being better or worse than single ended. It may never be proven, the argument goes on from 1950s till this day. Though with mic cables you do need a balanced connection to guard against noise interference. So with microphones, it’s important.........sound replay equipment, maybe not as important?

So with amps or DAPs it’s debatable, except a better amp does sound better and they make them more powerful. Also though people will find amps personally to vary. Typically one all BA IEM will have a more forward sound that simply sounds better with the 3.5mm amp. Though such placement is rare. Really it can depend on the IEM/headphone and the listening goals of the individual!

The other reasons they went to 4.4mm from 3.5mm is the robustness of the 4.4mm plug and the increased contact area inside the device.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:51 AM Post #5 of 8
I don’t have any equipment that you are questioning about. But with the 1A/1Z Sony Walkmans there are actual differences in the amp. Meaning there are two amps in the players, one for 3.5mm and one for 4.4mm.

But the two amps have a slight personality difference that they affect onto the signature. Now truly this depends on the headphones or IEMs. As it’s true there are a few members which prefer single ended 3.5mm from the devices and consider 4.4mm secondary. But even in those cases it’s only one headphone/IEM out of their whole collection that seems to benefit from such sound?

Typically it’s 4.4mm that they use. And yes, it truly is a different amp with different capacitors and transistors. So? In a way this is a style of marketing (it is with Sony anyway). As engineers may say there is no proof of balanced being better or worse than single ended. It may never be proven, the argument goes on from 1950s till this day. Though with mic cables you do need a balanced connection to guard against noise interference. So with microphones, it’s important. Sound replay equipment, maybe not as important?

So with amps or DAPs it’s debatable, except a better amp does sound better and they make them more powerful. Also though people will find amps personally to vary. Typically one all BA IEM will have a more forward sound that simply sounds better with the 3.5mm amp. Though such placement is rare. Really it can depend on the IEM/headphone and the listening goals of the individual!

The other reasons they went to 4.4mm from 3.5mm is the robustness of the 4.4mm plug and the increased contact area inside the device.
That didn’t come to my mind, maybe its the separate amp for 4.4mm that have that character and not the cable.

Thank you very much for help.
Bright headphones sound harsh with more power. However there is no way soundstage can be smaller in balanced mode. Check with other headphone.
I think you are right. Also I am comparing two different things, I should atleast have the same cable spec, to differentiate.

Thank you very much for help.

Jan 11, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #6 of 8
The simple answer is that there is probably a difference in the electrical characteristics of the two cables. This may be either the resistance, capacitance or inductance. Unless all three are the same, the cable will sound different (and we haven’t even entered the completely different characteristics of the termination end/plug).
Given the nature of cable manufacture, i doubt you were provided with any of the relevant data…

Jan 21, 2022 at 5:44 AM Post #7 of 8
People “experience” sound differently for a variety of reasons, even when there is in fact no audible difference at all. In the case of balanced/SE there is typically a difference in level, which will usually affect the “experience”.
As engineers may say there is no proof of balanced being better or worse than single ended.
Only an engineer who isn’t really an engineer or one who is effectively lying for marketing reasons would say that! Because: …
It may never be proven,
Where do you get this stuff? It was proven and demonstrated well over a century ago!
the argument goes on from 1950s till this day.
Why would the argument be going on from the 1950’s when it was already proven in the 1880’s? And, how can it possibly still be ongoing? The rational answer to the latter is of course that it CAN’T be ongoing! The only place it is ongoing is within a sub-group of the audiophile world but of course it’s irrational, based on people just making up nonsense facts/history and false marketing!
Though with mic cables you do need a balanced connection to guard against noise interference.
So there is proof then?
So with microphones, it’s important.........sound replay equipment, maybe not as important?
That depends on the sound replay equipment or more accurately, the strength of the audio signal and the distance and environment it has to travel through to get to the sound replay equipment, as Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated.

G

Jan 21, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 8
I can confirm that things changed on my Diablo after upgrading to 7c from 1.5. Now the balanced port sounds relaxed and not "stressed"

I truly hear the difference, both in sound quality(frets on instruments) and the balanced port has a more mature and relaxed sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back