Cable DIY beginner's questions
Jul 14, 2006 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Richark911

New Head-Fier
Hi head-fiers, I plan to start making my own audio cables. After browsing the DIY thread, cable making seems to be fun and rewarding. Since I am only a beginner, I plan to get only decent materials, nothing over the top, having little experience. After browsing a few of the recommended online stores, I think that I am going to be buying from redco. They seem to have fair prices and a nice selection.

After reading the forums for a while, I noticed that the popular cables seem to be the Canare Starquad (L-4E6S) and the Mogami cable (I'm not sure which one...is it the W2534 Quad Mic Cable?). They seem to be fairly cheap so I think that I am going to be using either one of them. How do the two compare sound-wise, size-wise, and flexibility-wise?

Next, the connectors. The Canare F12 mini plug also seems to be quite popular in these forums, and the price is right, so I think that it is a good choice for me. I notice that many of the DIYers here remove the sping from the F12 plug. I think that the strain-relief looks pretty cool...is there any reason that it is removed by so many of you? Redco also has the Neutrik NYS 231L mini plug, which is nice and small, so I am also considering getting some for tighter places. I think that I will also be needing some RCA connectors. The Neutrik Pro-Fi seems to be a tad expensive for me, so I think that I will not consider that connector, maybe I will get them in the future. But the Canare F10 seems to be in the right price range for me. I was just wondering if the above mentioned cables would fit into the connectors mentioned here.

I understand that in order to make a mini to RCA, I must remove the coating of the quad cable and split it into two pairs of wires. I am not positive, but I think that I will be needing heatshrink to wrap these pairs of wires. I was just wondering what size heatshrink would be best for wrapping the wires. I assume that it would have to be very small, but I am not sure of the exact measurement. Redco seems to carry many sizes of heatshrink, so if anybody knows, please help.

Also, I believe that heatshrink is needed to cover the Y-split of the mini to RCA cable. What size heatshrink is best?

BTW, I have a hair dryer, Radioshack silver-bearing solder, and a Radioshack 15W 30W switchable soldering iron to use. Which wattage is preferable for soldering these cables?

Thank you for taking your time to consider my questions!

Jul 14, 2006 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richark911
Hi head-fiers, I plan to start making my own audio cables. After browsing the DIY thread, cable making seems to be fun and rewarding. Since I am only a beginner, I plan to get only decent materials, nothing over the top, having little experience. After browsing a few of the recommended online stores, I think that I am going to be buying from redco. They seem to have fair prices and a nice selection.

After reading the forums for a while, I noticed that the popular cables seem to be the Canare Starquad (L-4E6S) and the Mogami cable (I'm not sure which one...is it the W2534 Quad Mic Cable?). They seem to be fairly cheap so I think that I am going to be using either one of them. How do the two compare sound-wise, size-wise, and flexibility-wise?

Next, the connectors. The Canare F12 mini plug also seems to be quite popular in these forums, and the price is right, so I think that it is a good choice for me. I notice that many of the DIYers here remove the sping from the F12 plug. I think that the strain-relief looks pretty cool...is there any reason that it is removed by so many of you? Redco also has the Neutrik NYS 231L mini plug, which is nice and small, so I am also considering getting some for tighter places. I think that I will also be needing some RCA connectors. The Neutrik Pro-Fi seems to be a tad expensive for me, so I think that I will not consider that connector, maybe I will get them in the future. But the Canare F10 seems to be in the right price range for me. I was just wondering if the above mentioned cables would fit into the connectors mentioned here.

I understand that in order to make a mini to RCA, I must remove the coating of the quad cable and split it into two pairs of wires. I am not positive, but I think that I will be needing heatshrink to wrap these pairs of wires. I was just wondering what size heatshrink would be best for wrapping the wires. I assume that it would have to be very small, but I am not sure of the exact measurement. Redco seems to carry many sizes of heatshrink, so if anybody knows, please help.

Also, I believe that heatshrink is needed to cover the Y-split of the mini to RCA cable. What size heatshrink is best?

BTW, I have a hair dryer, Radioshack silver-bearing solder, and a Radioshack 15W 30W switchable soldering iron to use. Which wattage is preferable for soldering these cables?

Thank you for taking your time to consider my questions!

I haven't tried the Mogami, but I do really like the Canare StarQuad. The mini StarQuad is also quite nice.

As for minis, I personally hate the F-12, but a lot of other people love it. For me, it was just too bulky for a mini connector, and the center pin inside of it broke off for no apparent reason. The Neutrik NYS 231L's are probably my favorite, but I have only tried 3-4 different minis total. But for the price, I think they're a steal. They look nice, they're small, and fairly easy to solder.

For RCAs, I really like the Neutrik NYS 352G, it's cheap, looks decent, and is incredible easy to work with. I haven't tried the Canare ones, mainly since I think they look ugly, and I really hated their F-12.

Covering the twisted pairs with heatshrink... you want something small. I think 1/4th in. tops, preferably 3:1 heatshrink, but 2:1 would also work. For covered the y-joint, I'd recommend something like 3/4th" adhesive 3:1. I've found for heatshrink though, just order a lot of it, in different sizes. Sometimes there might be something slightly different than before and you can't fit the heatshrink over it so then you need the size up, you want to make a dual wall, etc.

You might also want to invest in a very cheap heatgun, since a hair dryer usually can't supply the necessary heat required.

I hope that answers some questions. I probably missed a few.

Jul 15, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 6
I personally haven't tried them, but I have only heard good things about them.

Jul 16, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 6
Hi, thanks again for the response. I have another question, if you don't mind. I am having trouble finding adhesive heatshrink. Is regular heatshrink Ok? My main use for the heatshrink would be covering the Y-split and the two twisted pair of wires in the Mini to RCA cable. Will regular heatshrink come loose? Is there any alternative to adhesive heatshrink?

Thanks!!!!

Jul 16, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 6
The switchcraft ones are the best mini I tried. It's at the right size for StartQuad with Teflon on. Get the right angle ones, they look very professional, and you don't need heatshrink to cover it up. The small Neutrik ones are too small for SQ, you have to enlarge the hole in order to stick the SQ with Teflon in.

Check out HGA, their RCAs look very nice and sound very nice too.

Regard,
Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back