Cable Cost vs Equipment Cost
Apr 14, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #106 of 139
Anyone tried Transparent Cable? I'm intrigued by their Musiclink and Musiclink Plus interconnects. They're priced at around Nordost Red Dawn levels.

Apr 14, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #107 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, instead of covering up the brightness with tubes it's better to fix the problems instead. Two years ago the brightness was so bad that I didn't have a choice, I needed to cover it up with Mullard tubes. Valhalla + tubes still sounded more detailed than muddy cable + solid-state. After I tried vibration isolation I didn't need to use tubes anymore because after the vibrations were reduced everything sounded heavy and warm. People who complain Valhalla sounds too thin, now you know why.

Patrick, with good tubes you don't have to hide anything. Some tubes are just as revealing as solid state. The best tube amps best solid state amps.

Apr 15, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #108 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, instead of covering up the brightness with tubes it's better to fix the problems instead. Two years ago the brightness was so bad that I didn't have a choice, I needed to cover it up with Mullard tubes. Valhalla + tubes still sounded more detailed than muddy cable + solid-state. After I tried vibration isolation I didn't need to use tubes anymore because after the vibrations were reduced everything sounded heavy and warm. People who complain Valhalla sounds too thin, now you know why.

Please don’t make fun of my gear you might make me cry especially my Mullard 6922s, Amperex 6DJ8s, or any Mullard rectification.
biggrin.gif
Ok, I probably had that coming with all my talk on the DAC-1, which I do believe to be very good for the dough.
Believe it, or not I have a passion for this hobby that is similar to yours, and I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I do respect your spirit however.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2007 at 8:50 AM Post #109 of 139
Crescendopower,
you do come out with a lot of absolutes don't you.

You listened to (1) CDP with some Nordost I/Cs and panned all the cables you know someone from a particular speaker co. and quoted him and then you come out with another absolutist statement that all Mullard valves are first class, what a load of old cobblers!

So televator does'nt know what he's talking about, he's probably getting a kickback from Nordost is'nt he, or his opinion is rubbish.

All Mullard valves are good - no they are'nt - Mullards are hugely overpriced now, many go microphonic, many have an unacceptable bloom and warmth. If you want a top class EL34, don't look at Mullard look for Svetlana.

I always feel that those who spout absolutes are actually very unsure of themselves.

Apr 15, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #110 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Stuart /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Crescendopower,
you do come out with a lot of absolutes don't you.

You listened to (1) CDP with some Nordost I/Cs and panned all the cables you know someone from a particular speaker co. and quoted him and then you come out with another absolutist statement that all Mullard valves are first class, what a load of old cobblers!

So televator does'nt know what he's talking about, he's probably getting a kickback from Nordost is'nt he, or his opinion is rubbish.

All Mullard valves are good - no they are'nt - Mullards are hugely overpriced now, many go microphonic, many have an unacceptable bloom and warmth. If you want a top class EL34, don't look at Mullard look for Svetlana.

I always feel that those who spout absolutes are actually very unsure of themselves.

Anyone who has bothered to pay attention to my posts in the past knows exactly how I feel about people making absolutes. If anyone in this thread is making absolutes it is the people who believe that Nordost is the only cable company on earth that can make a quality cable.

Apr 15, 2007 at 10:32 AM Post #111 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who has bothered to pay attention to my posts in the past knows exactly how I feel about people making absolutes. If anyone in this thread is making absolutes it is the people who believe that Nordost is the only cable company on earth that can make a quality cable.

Nordost isn't the only one that makes good cables. Tara Labs Zero interconnect is also a good quality cable. I have never even listened to it but I can see from the design how good it is, because I have copied the design and modded my Valhalla cable in a similar way.

Tara Labs cables have rectangular conductors which means that you can't manipulate the power supply like you can with the silver plated round Valhalla cables, something is happening to the high frequency noise traveling on the wire...

Rectangular conductors are neutral and round conductors are colored because different frequencies arrive at different times. With round conductors you can boost up the detail by pasting on some silver plating.

Apr 15, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #112 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If anyone in this thread is making absolutes it is the people who believe that Nordost is the only cable company on earth that can make a quality cable.

Wrong. I also make absolutes, but not about Nordost
wink.gif

These are without a doubt the best speaker cables I've had, period
biggrin.gif
Total cost: about $0.50 a foot.

Apr 16, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #113 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wrong. I also make absolutes, but not about Nordost
wink.gif

These are without a doubt the best speaker cables I've had, period
biggrin.gif
Total cost: about $0.50 a foot.

How many did you try out?
cool.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #114 of 139
I was on the "how can an IC make a difference" train until I went out to listen to the differences on some hi end systems recently. I found a store willing to take the time to explain the differences and offer listening trials. They won't take the time to do this if you are going to go to the internet to buy. I then brought them home to try them in my system. I had formed my long held opinion based on friends opinions.

The Red Dawns are better with my source/amp. Problems I once thought were my hps are gone. Bass extension, details and dynamics are much better. Sibilance is gone. Patrick's "fake transparency" IMO is reduced EM noise presenting a blacker background, exposing the veiled frequencies that noise was masking.

This does not mean that Nordost is the only maker that can do this. I am saying cables do have an impact on sq and is worth taking time to tell for yourself. I've read that power supply transformer wire makes great ICs. If you want as good a sound as your equipment can provide, leave a cc and take some home or make some up. You don't need much time to tell the differences between cables. If you find one you like, listen to it for a few days. If they don't work, take them back. If they do work, you have better sq for your effort.

IMHO!

Apr 16, 2007 at 2:31 AM Post #115 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How many did you try out?
cool.gif

I've tried... errr... three: Wess penn stranded copper, DIY solid core copper, and these.
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #116 of 139
Incredible,
rational and meaningful statements, one after the other.

Rsaavedra makes sp/cables he's happy with for pennies.

Happy Camper, stops listening to other peoples views decides to investigate and comes up trumps - wonderful.

Some are prepared to pay plenty to obtain cables that let more of the signal through, why not - there are plenty of ways to throw money away on nothing worthwhile.

I too was a skeptic. I think it simply comes down to those who have or eventually open their minds and those who never will.

Should you spend more on cables than equipment - I think the answer to that is, crap cables will never allow you to hear what your equipment is capable of but I cannot support spending more on them than equipment.

As I and others are always banging on about - make your own, this way you get value for money. Maybe later if you can't match the best of the commercial cables - then buy s/hand.

Apr 16, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #117 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried... errr... three: Wess penn stranded copper, DIY solid core copper, and these.
tongue.gif

right, so you're clearly THE expert. I have tried much more.......

Apr 16, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #118 of 139
Quote:

Originally Posted by tourmaline /img/forum/go_quote.gif
right, so you're clearly THE expert. I have tried much more.......

Ah, so are you the expert? You haven't tried mine...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back