Cable and driver upgrade for the HD 598?
Jan 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

invelity

New Head-Fier
After doing some research regarding the replacement cables for this model, I believe the most common upgrade would be the Mogami W2534? Someone please correct if I'm wrong. If someone would be able to explain to me how to do the mod (or direct me to someone who could do it; not much of a DIY'er) and if it'd be possible to have the cable still be detachable?

Also, regarding the driver mod for the 598, would the upgrade be to a 600 or 650 driver? To be more specific, the research that I've done doesn't elaborate on which driver would replace the 598, if such a thing is possible. If a driver is possible, could someone provide information how I would go about it?

(If this is in the forum, I apologize)

Jan 29, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #2 of 5
Pretty certain the HD600 or HD650's drivers are much larger than the HD598s, looking at comparison photos. 

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 5
You can build you own cable, there are threads on how to do this and it is often pretty easy.  To keep the cable detachable, you are going to have to improvise by modifying a 2.5mm TRS plug (I think that any of the solder plugs that you can find in various places will be too wide unless you dremel the headphone, lol) or replace the jack on the headphone with a mini-XLR, Lemo, or 3.5mm jack.  Example

Jan 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 5
Mogami (quad) or Canare (quad) are the two brands that are talked about for headphone recabling.
The only two things for sure that you get for recabling is, the cable is shielded from interference and you get the length you want.
How much it improves the sound?
Good luck with that 2.5mm jack connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back