Cable and DAC advice
May 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jbond007

New Head-Fier
I am getting all the parts together to build a CMOY amp. I have a 4th Gen Nano, some Skull Candy Ink'd buds, a new pair of Grado SR60is. I need to make a Line out cable, a charging cable, and maybe recable the Grados. So I am going to buy some connectors from Ridax, and start making things. The charger cable is a no brainer. The Line out and Grado recable I will need some advice. I see Moon audio sells bulk cable and is this overkill with the SR60's?
Any help will be appreciated by my ears.
Also good starter DAC project??
Thanks,
Robert

May 9, 2009 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 6
No offense, but an OPUS is entirely inappropriate for the equipment the OP listed.

Instead, I'd recommend a BantamDAC kit from Glass Jar Audio:
Glass Jar Audio : Bantam DAC kit including board
You can also google for BantamDAC for building details.
wink.gif

May 9, 2009 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Where are you? It'll make recommending vendors for parts a little more personal.
x2 for the Bantam to start with. You may want to look at markertek for mini jacks/RCAs, some wire like mogami, heat shrink, etc...

May 9, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 6
I am in the fine city of Portland, OR. I am just looking at the selection of iPod/iPhone Dock Connector ordering
and see that there are a variety of styles of male connectors and I expect that the range of sizes would be determined by the intended use or more specifically the size and number or wilres to be used. Also, I would like to use at least "quite good" parts, wires and connectors, but as I am not in the Uber Rich category, I don't want to rebuild these cables as the quality of the components get better. As for the Grados I have seen wire costing more than the phones but I have also heard that increasing the diameter will enhance the phones and better wire and and increase in size makes sense. I like to build things, I am a luthier and really like music. So let the games begin.
Robert

May 10, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No offense, but an OPUS is entirely inappropriate for the equipment the OP listed.

My bad, didn't realise that was the gear he would be pairing with - just thought OP wanted a project DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back