Cable+Amp for T1: Portable Summit-fi for raising HiFi awareness.
Feb 8, 2012 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

VictorHalgaard

WARNING: BAD TRADER
Also known as HeadphoneViking.
Alright, so I'm about to create a monster, that will wreak havoc upon the local Beats fiends at my school and anywhere else I come. I'm making myself a portable rig with a Beyerdynamic T1 as its center piece. I want it to scream Summit-fi as loudly as it can with the best portable aplification avalible for it and the best cable I can afford - and its a positive thing if the cable looks strange
biggrin.gif

As I've not gotten the T1 yet (it will arrive early next week) I've not gotten any chances to play much around with it, and since noone near me has any of the top tier portable amps and so on I thought I'd as you guys:

So the question is: What is the best portable amp you've ever heard with the T1?

And what would the T1 benefit the most from - silver or copper cabling. Feel free to give me specific cable names/brands and so on.

This rig will be going with me everywhere so uninitiated music lovers who might have a Head-Fi'er dwelling inside them get the chance to listen to it and awaken that hifi enthusiast. I've had success with turning people into audiophiles/making them aware, a couple of times already with my current rigs, so I want to continue.

Its going to stretch my budget, since I'm just a young student, but here are the possibilities I'm currently considering:

Tube Amps:
ALO Continental
Fanmusic BL-1
PortaTube

SS Amps:
RSA SR-71b

Copper Cables:
Norse Audio: Norn
Moon Audio: Black Dragon
DHC: The Molecule

Silver Cables:
Moon Audio: Silver Dragon

If you have experience with the T1 and a certain cable or portable amp, and would like to reccomend it, please do :)

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #3 of 6
I know you and a lot of other people would, which is why i didn't as about that. I have read enough things about the T5p to make me definitely not want it. And I have already tried using a T1 portably for a day, when i borrowed it from a local store - and it works just fine, which is ofcourse why I'm actually buying one. So now i just need to know how to impliment it the best way possible. :)

Quote:
I would strongly advise against using the T1 as a portable headphone. For the purposes listed, have a look into the T5P.

Feb 8, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 6
I already own the DT1350 (I'm actually wearing it right now). But as I said, I have already tried using the T1 portably, that includes public transport, libraries, school and so forth. In silent rooms I just listen at a lower volume, and it not a problem for anyone who isn't sitting right beside me, trying to hear it. I chose the T1 because it is only Semi-open and thus will also allow me to hear what is going on around me.
Also, you're missing the point - I don't just want stellar sound, and so on, I want the rig to turn heads, I want people to be curious so they get the chance to experience hifi cans - a DT1350 doesnt exactly do that, and if you don't know it fairly well, your initial impressions are most likely "not that good sound, not enough bass (due to a bad seal) and uncomfortable". Its not like I just picked a random summit-fi can - I've tested quite a few and found the T1 to be the one I preferred.
So again, the T1 is the headphone of choice. Couold we get back on topic? :)

Feb 8, 2012 at 5:05 AM Post #6 of 6
I don't know about cables, but the ALO Continental is my fave portable amp for the T1's, as I've mentioned in the past a few times too. It has a nice warmth and smoothness to it, as well as a touch of extra sub bass. You do lose a touch of micro detailing compared to some more clinical amps, but you also get a more natural and lovely sound. Very wide soundstage as well. Oh and it powers them like butter. There's no way you'd even get close to maxing the volume imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back