C542/Woo 3/HD600.... too warm?
Feb 3, 2008 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jingo Lingo

100+ Head-Fier
Just wanted to know if anyone has a smiler set-up or some experience with the NAD C542? Would it be too warm/dark sounding with my set up? I have an opportunity to get the NAD at a good price but I'm concerned about the synergy. I don't like sharp, piercing highs but I still like plenty of treble detail. Your opinions would be most appreciated.

Feb 3, 2008 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 6
I think it's a wonderful setup, because the amp and cans have similar sound character. I honestly think that trying to pair cold amp and warm cans is NOT the way to go. It's more of "patch the holes" kind of approach. Low-end approach.

Similar sound sig through all equipment chain=sound nirvana. You just must find the sound you like and then buy appropriate gear. I like your setup very much.

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks QQQ, your reasoning makes a lot of sense. I like the HD600's very much already so I guess buying gear to match it is the way to go.

Feb 3, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, here's my oranges to tangerines comparison. (Not quite the same, but similar. sort of):

I'm using a Woo6 with a NAD C 521BEE occasionally with a Senn HD600 and it doesn't sound too warm to me. The highs are present and detailed, though obviously not like my Grados.

Feb 3, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #5 of 6
The Woo isn't too warm, but I wonder about the 600s. If you don't want warm then the AKG 701 or ATH-w5000s would be a better match with the Woo, IMHO. If you want a little warm, then the 600s might be perfect. We really can't answer for you. Ultimately you'll have to do the listening.

The fact that you gravitated to the 600 tells me that you like a little warmth, unless you made a slight mistake.

Dave

Feb 4, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

I'm using a Woo6 with a NAD C 521BEE occasionally with a Senn HD600 and it doesn't sound too warm to me. The highs are present and detailed, though obviously not like my Grados.

Thanks for the comparison. That set-up would probably sound quite smiler to how mine will.

I own an MS-1 and can't really stand it for too long due to the fatigue. The HD600's however suit my tastes much more. I've heard the Woo 3 mates with it well, so I've got one on the way, it's just the NAD that I wasn't too sure about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back