C PAds from headphile
Mar 6, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #181 of 246
... I have also been convinced: just placed an order for Alpha 8 ports in natural oak. Cant wait to get them
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #182 of 246
Oh yeah one other thing to add, I really don't have to use any equalizer (Foobar2K or E-MU DSP Mixer) right now to tweak the sound to my liking. Seems like the C-pads are definitely the solution I have been looking for all along (they even got me thinking about getting my MS-1 woodied in Paduak to match the wood on the pads).

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #183 of 246
I might start listening to more classical.

Yo Yo Ma playing Ennio Morricone's music. Um, with C-Pads my SR200 can now do right by classical. You hear every little shift of Yo Yo's arse as he gets into the Cello. And it's very intimate, but not "canned" feeling as the previous feelings I had with grados and collapsed soundstage. Like chamber music is perfect for what cpads and grados give you now. Man good stuff.

Mar 9, 2005 at 12:00 AM Post #184 of 246
Maybe someone could answer this for me. I have a pair of 125s that I was thinking of selling and going up to the 225s but now I'm thinking about getting these C-Pads.

Would I be better off getting the 225s or the C-Pads right now? Could anyone who has both do a little comparison? I have the bowl pads right now and I know people seem to prefer the 225s over the 125s for their mellowness. Would the Beta pads smooth out the 125s "harshness" and keep the clarity? Could a pair of 125s+Beta pads sound better than 225s+Beta pads?

confused.gif

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:14 PM Post #189 of 246
Glad I found this thread, I had recently given my RS1's a break lately b/c they were just too uncomfortable for extended sessions. Just ordered a set of betas - sounds like there's hope for my ears yet!

Mar 9, 2005 at 4:35 PM Post #190 of 246
Yep no prob with comfort. And the soundstage is for real, folks. Just got Ivy's "Guestroom" and it's hilarious how much studio chatter you can pick up - it really sounds like an indie album, even with a polished band doing covers. I mean, people clapping in the background, a freaking phone ringing, one of the guys cursing, you can hear it all. Adds to the charm
smily_headphones1.gif
It reminds me of listening to "A Waltz for Debby" by the Bill Evans Trio, all that background chatter.

edit- you know what i just realized? my cans are fun now. thanks, Larry!

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:09 PM Post #191 of 246
I come home tonight and find a priority express envelope...and I knew those were my c-pads!
smily_headphones1.gif
Managed to get them on no problems, although with my MS-2 fatboys, I did have to apply considerable amount of pressure for it to snap in.

But I have a big problem, with the c-pads on, the headphones just don't sit on my head. With the bowls, I normally raised the fork about 1cm on each side to give me the best fit. But now, I have a gap of about 1cm between the top of my head and the headband. This also means the pads don't close round my ear completely i.e. a little opening at the bottom.

I've tried bending the headband around but still no luck. So far I just held the pads in place and gave it a quick listen..and so far I liked what I heard. Is there any quick fix solution? Some kind of headband that gives me that extra 1cm of cushioning on top of my head?

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #193 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by practitioner
So far I just held the pads in place and gave it a quick listen..and so far I liked what I heard. Is there any quick fix solution? Some kind of headband that gives me that extra 1cm of cushioning on top of my head?

The Beyer DT770 cushioned headband can be snapped on over the Grado headband and should provide the additional 1cm of cushion you need (not to mention providing additional comfort). You can order it direct from Beyerdynamic USA for $12.17 shipped by calling 631-293-3200. I got mine a few days ago and it fits the Grado's perfectly.

EDIT: Lou's post above beat me to the punch. I didn't want to velcro anything as I wanted to be able to convert my 225's back to stock with no noticeable blemishes. Maybe a little headband bending with the Beyer pad in place will achieve a more form-fitting shape.

Mar 9, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #194 of 246
you know that's exactly what happened to lan when he tried my cans out - a little gap on the bottom, resulting in all that bassy goodness wooshing out. not sure what to say about that, since the c-pads do restrict vertical swivelling of the cups a bit. i guess it's a headshape thing, since my head has no such "sealing" or sitting problem on the ears.

as for the gap on top, try a DT770 headband pad, that's why i use. something like 12 bucks shipped direct from beyer? anyhow, pretty darn comfy to boot.

btw about the forks, my melon is pretty big, so i dont have a prob with the square black "R" and "L" things holding the rod just touching the outer edge of the wooden adapters of the c-pads as to height adjustment. but if you need to go shorter, just tip the pads out a bit so the black squares scooch behind the adapter, and you can continue to shorten the height - and this way the pads angle in with the bottom closest to your ear, which might help with your head shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back