C PAds from headphile
Mar 6, 2005 at 5:40 AM Post #166 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff E
Got my Beta C-pads today and have three quick observations:
1)The comfort is exceptional with my SR200s. I never had a big problem with any of the supraural pads (comfies, bowls or flats) but with the C-pads the SR200 offers comfort more in the AKG501's league.
2) The cans are now effectively bigger so I have to push the adjustable posts all the way up to get proper vertical positioning.
3)There is a great deal more horizontal latitude in head positioning with the beyer pads than with supraural pads. For the first few minutes I thought that the C-pads made the the sound too recessed and dull. Then I moved the headphones forward on my head and sound became less muffled. I think that with large pads but small drivers it is critical to locate the driver over the ear opening. With my ear shape that meant pushing the pads forward so that the rear of my pinna is in contact with the inside, rear edge of the pad. So, if you are trying out the C-pads, you may wish to experiment with the positioning to see how the sound changes.

I concur. Headroom's Cheap Mods is no joke when they have that diagram of good can positioning. Forward and down is the way to go on your ears.

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:47 AM Post #167 of 246
I got my beta c-pads last night. Thanks again Larry!!

Snapped on to my SR60s with no problems...

Comfort is great, although I think I lose a little of the swivel-movement of the cups with the c-pads attached. That leads to a less secure fit. Less clamping force? I'm trying to bend my headband back to it's original shape to address that...so far not much luck there, but I'll keep trying.

Sound...bass is definitely slamming. Soundstage is pretty spacious. But something sounds different from my flats. Can't quite put my finger on it yet...I'll have to spend more time with it though. Right now, I'd have to say I prefer the flats for sound quality, but the c-pads are infinitely better for comfort (I have big ears, and grado supraural pads are a pain after 30 minutes).

I really think it has something to do with the fit...I'll keep playing with 'em...
icon10.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #168 of 246
A good fit will require a couple things. Adjusting the headband different ways, probably bending it a few times too. The Beyer pads begin to soften and take shape to your head after some use, guessing a week or month. Jahn would probably know a good time estimate since he had new pads on his DT770's, the same pads. That will bring the drivers a little closer to the ears, to the sweet spot that I like. I had to keep the natural pad compression that will take place in mind when designing them
biggrin.gif
So yes, haha, the pads do need break in!

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:05 AM Post #169 of 246
Rats it's been a few months now, I'm not sure when the pads started getting compressed to the level I like - give it a month or so? I guess you could always just smash em under a dictionary lol. But yes a bit of compression in the pads results in a nice lil sound chamber!

Mar 6, 2005 at 7:24 AM Post #170 of 246
listening to "These are the things about you" by Ivy right now, and the soundstage is so spacious, the acoustic guitar really stands out here - grado always did right by the acoustic guitar, but now it's separated a bit "on stage" so i can really focus on it and enjoy it if i want. C-Pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 9:21 AM Post #171 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Bass. Now that doesn't go away. Doesn't add extension - it adds impact. Like the air being moved for those bass notes has nowhere to go now but your ears. Yes, I tried the 1812 test and my cans physically rocked at the cannon burst. Don't think I'll do that again. Only the DT770 ever did that before.

How would you compare the C-pad bass to the bass with vwaps or flats?

Mar 6, 2005 at 4:08 PM Post #172 of 246
Jahn, your reviews are very interesting to me. Thanks for the continuous commentary, particularly with rock (heh heh). I'll be getting my ported alphas soon, and will chime on the sound and choice of open/filled ports, too.

- walk

Mar 6, 2005 at 4:33 PM Post #173 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by clarke68
How would you compare the C-pad bass to the bass with vwaps or flats?

less diffuse airiness, more air impacting your ear drum in a THUMP. but not a muddy thump. so i'd say, more and bigger and harder, but not as "breathy" if that makes sense. probably magnify this diff 3x comparatively with bowls lol.

Mar 6, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #175 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Mmmm, bass. Not exactly a basshead, but I do enjoy my share of bass. Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Jahn, how does the bass on your Grado with C-pads compare to your Darth Beyers?

still no competition - Darth Rules. But the grado naturaly has more impact already, and this is just magnified with the C-pads. But yeah the Darth Beyers go deeper and have more presence. Since my SR200 doesn't have as much extension as that (ans still don't, and not most cans do except the PS-1) it's good that what it has, it shows now in spades.

But in terms of bass, both are now fun - it used to be that the Beyers were fun in a Ghetto way, and the SR200 was more accurate but a bit boring. But now both are fun, and the SR200 is bassier while still retaining all that good info. So I'm happy.

Gotta still keep the Beyers around tho.
basshead.gif

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #176 of 246
Thanks for the info, Jahn. Incidentally, I still remember when you posted a while back when your Darth Beyers jumped during 1812 overture. It must have been pretty startling. Now, I wonder how the bass of PS-1's with C-pads will compare to Darth Beyers?

Jahn, are you the only one with Darth Beyers on Head-Fi?

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #177 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Salt Peanuts
Thanks for the info, Jahn. Incidentally, I still remember when you posted a while back when your Darth Beyers jumped during 1812 overture. It must have been pretty startling. Now, I wonder how the bass of PS-1's with C-pads will compare to Darth Beyers?

Jahn, are you the only one with Darth Beyers on Head-Fi?

I don't even want to think about the PS-1 with a modded melos playing the 1812...yikes.

And there are a few Darth Beyers out there - in fact last week someone put one on sale and it got snapped up that day!

Mar 6, 2005 at 5:53 PM Post #178 of 246
Quote:

I don't even want to think about the PS-1 with a modded melos playing the 1812...yikes.

And there are a few Darth Beyers out there - in fact last week someone put one on sale and it got snapped up that day!

I just went through the FS forum and looked for the thread. I cannot believe I missed that! As you mentioned, it really was a great deal and I'm really sorry that I was at work at the time it was posted.

BTW, which recording of 1812 do you listen to? I might have to go pick one up just to try it once everything arrives next week.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:01 PM Post #179 of 246
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Beware - they used REAL cannons in the recording - they blew out a few windows doing it too lol. And yes they can break your speakers if you play it too loud, so be careful. Don't make your ears bleed if you don't have to either.

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:56 PM Post #180 of 246
Quote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Beware - they used REAL cannons in the recording - they blew out a few windows doing it too lol. And yes they can break your speakers if you play it too loud, so be careful. Don't make your ears bleed if you don't have to either.

Yep I believe the cannon shots go down to 8hz so be careful not to play it too loud. It sounds amazing with the PS-1's and beta pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back