C Pads for RS-1 - worth it or not?
Apr 23, 2005 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

morphie

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,

So, C Pads Beta from headphile.com for RS-1s - worth it? I like my RS-1s alot and the C Pad was a ncie addition to the 325s, but I'm having some doubts for the RS-1s. What do you guys think?

Apr 23, 2005 at 11:39 AM Post #2 of 8
Something to add - flats are IMHO a given with RS-1s. Sound alot better than bowls for me. Yes, I know, I'm a freak
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 8
I just received a set of new RS-1's (purchased from 8thStreet) and am not enamored with the stock foam pads. I have read all the posts I could find on the Headphile C-Pads and the concensus appears to be that they are:
  1. comfortable
  2. enhance the bass
  3. broaden/widen the soundstage, an
  4. attentuate the highs a smidge

According to the Heaphile website, which Larry has corroborated via email, the current shipment from Beyer is currently stuck in Customs.

***NOTE: If anyone responding to this thread wants to part with their C-Pads, please see my WTB post in the Headphones For Sale forum.***

Candidly, in light of the rave reviews I read about the RS-1's, I am not all that blown away by them compared to a set of Sony CD-3000's I had already purchased from another Headphile member. I'm new at describing my listening experiences and the proper terminology, so please bear with me. My impressions:
  1. the bass is not as impactful
  2. the soundstage is constrained
  3. the depth/presence is less intense (?)
  4. comfort is significantly worse

My feeling of being enveloped by the music is powerful with the CD-3000's, but I don't get that sensation as much with the Grados. Maybe one explanatory difference is simply the supra- vs. circum-aural design. Could another possibility be the burn-in period? I was told by the seller that the CD-3000's had approx. 150 hours and I've probably added 20 more. The Grado's have maybe 3-5 hours tops!

I wanted to replace a set of Sony V-600's with a pair of high-end cans for my various electronic inputs/instruments (Roland VDrums, Malletkat, Computer, et al.), but I need low impedance since I am running everything through a Mackie mixer and only have the headphone jack's power. One advantage to the RS-1's, when playing the e-drums, is that they are lighter in overall weight and fit more snugly than the Sony's, which would constitute a huge benefit if only those pads didn't hurt my ears after 30 minutes.

Anyway, I'm hoping the C-Pads will improve the weaknesses, as I perceive them, and help me enjoy the RS-1's as much as I do the Sony's. If not, the whole kit will go on the block and I may be heading to the Senn camp. The HD-650's were on my short list, but I was trying to avoid adding an amp.

Ken

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 8
Yep, your Grados need burning in. I think my RS-1s beat any phones I've ever owned or currently own hands down. I'm gonna sell or trade my k501s because I find myself listening to the same music more with the RS-1s. The grado sound signature is great
smily_headphones1.gif

If possible I'd like to get an opinion of someone using C Pads with the RS-1s. I've owned C Pads with my 325 and know the good points mostly, but I can't really imagine them fitting the RS-1s. I dont need the highs tamed really.

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 8
I just bought a pair of rs-1s. I don't plan on buying c-pads because I like the fowardness. I don't want more soundstage and from what I hear, I won't need more bass either. So for me comfort would be the only plus. You have to take grados for what they are. It's almost unfair to compare them to most phones. They aren't meant to have the soundstage and detail of other phones in the same price range. They are about musicality imo. I think I'll keep the phones stock with bowls or senn pads.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 8
You know what, that loss of forwardness is exactly what im fearing. It was ok with the 325s, them being overly bright, but the RS-1s sound great as is. Will I lose the forwardness with the C Pads for sure? It wasn't affecting it too much with the 325s thats why i'm not sure at all about the RS-1s. I really need advice from someone whos tried it themselves
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #7 of 8
how would you rate the comfort of grado+c-pads vs. cd-3000 ?

Apr 23, 2005 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 8
I think its a 50-50 thing imo. In wearing, I think grados + c pads are mroe comfortable because of the beyer velour pads. As far as sound fatigue is concerned, I guess the Grados are more fatiguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back