C.E.C. TL-51XZ or Electrocompaniet ECM-1 as transport
Apr 25, 2007 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jigster

100+ Head-Fier
Got a good deal on both the C.E.C. TL-51XZ or the Electrocompaniet ECM-1, just considering which I should get. Anyone got any good/bad experiences with either? Thinking of using it as a transport as I've got the ECD-1 Dac, which is hooked up to my computer. Just wanted the flexibility of playing CDs if I wanted to. Was told by an acquaintance that the ECD-1's got reliability issues. So I thought I'll toss it here for more advice.

Apr 25, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 10
Now i am really jealous - you are one lucky guy to have ecd-1 and looking to get 51xz or ecm-1...

There are nearly zero threads related to CEC transports or cd players but the ones that i have found in here, audiogon, audioasylum, etc. are always positively rated their products. Their new cd players are supposed to have very nice performance/price ratio.

Did you check 51X (transport) or 51XR (transport + 2 mono dual 1796 dac chips)? Recent conversation: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231958

Also, do you mind sharing the price that they are offered to you - either here or pm - thanks...

Apr 25, 2007 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 10
Reliability is an .... interesting/debatable subject, most of all because it cannot be tested in a straightforward fashion. Apart from long term feedback and isolated cases it is very hard to tell which is which, especially when we're talking about high end cd-players. Maintenance and the way the machine is used can make a big difference as well in this matter.

As far as I know CEC mechanics are known for high quality but, also, for being rather picky with the cd's you throw at them.
A friend of mine owns a CEC cd-player (I think the belt drive type, but I'm not sure) and has a hard time with it reading some of his cds.

On the other hand the EC cd-player uses the excellent cd-pro2 M mechanics (my cd-player uses the same) well known for it's high performance and long durability.
Personally, I have a hard time finding cd's that my cd-player won't read
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ooztuncer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now i am really jealous - you are one lucky guy to have ecd-1 and looking to get 51xz or ecm-1...

There are nearly zero threads related to CEC transports or cd players but the ones that i have found in here, audiogon, audioasylum, etc. are always positively rated their products. Their new cd players are supposed to have very nice performance/price ratio.

Did you check 51X (transport) or 51XR (transport + 2 mono dual 1796 dac chips)? Recent conversation: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231958

Also, do you mind sharing the price that they are offered to you - either here or pm - thanks...

They are actually 2 seperate sellers; the ECD-1 for ard US$1200 and the CEC for about US$900 (not exactly a great deal but still within budget). Do note they are 230V versions as I and the sellers are from Singapore.
icon10.gif

Apr 26, 2007 at 11:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiofil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Reliability is an .... interesting/debatable subject, most of all because it cannot be tested in a straightforward fashion. Apart from long term feedback and isolated cases it is very hard to tell which is which, especially when we're talking about high end cd-players. Maintenance and the way the machine is used can make a big difference as well in this matter.

As far as I know CEC mechanics are known for high quality but, also, for being rather picky with the cd's you throw at them.
A friend of mine owns a CEC cd-player (I think the belt drive type, but I'm not sure) and has a hard time with it reading some of his cds.

On the other hand the EC cd-player uses the excellent cd-pro2 M mechanics (my cd-player uses the same) well known for it's high performance and long durability.
Personally, I have a hard time finding cd's that my cd-player won't read
biggrin.gif

I read some Stereophile review where the reviewer swapped the ECD-1 for a CEC 51XZ? and never looked back... I have always thought highly of the ECD-1 since many owners had good impressions of it but that review really does screw it up for me.... not forgetting that the CEC is also cheaper.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got a good deal on both the C.E.C. TL-51XZ or the Electrocompaniet ECM-1, just considering which I should get. Anyone got any good/bad experiences with either? Thinking of using it as a transport as I've got the ECD-1 Dac, which is hooked up to my computer. Just wanted the flexibility of playing CDs if I wanted to. Was told by an acquaintance that the ECD-1's got reliability issues. So I thought I'll toss it here for more advice.

Why can't you play CDs from your CD/DVD ROM drive? Sure, I prefer the sound played from hard drive but CD's played from PC drives directly sound very nice, too.

I would personally save the money on the CD transport and spend it on improving your PC->DAC interface..

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #7 of 10
I have a CEC 5100Z which is a belt-drive cd player, but which I use solely as a transport. Some years after I bought it I felt the need to use a DAC with it and still later after about 6-7 years, it became unreliable. I tried a number of cheaper players as a transport and finally paid to have the unit repaired solely to be used as a transport.

There is a solidness to the bass and a general liquidity or analog quality to the sound that I just couldn't get otherwise. So I guess I regard ther belt drive machines as good sounding. Obviously they don't last for ever.

As regards playing all discs, it is somewhat finicky, especially in regard to bad scratches and CDR's. although I have located brands that always work. I think you will find that many higher end machines trade off error correction for sound quality.

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why can't you play CDs from your CD/DVD ROM drive? Sure, I prefer the sound played from hard drive but CD's played from PC drives directly sound very nice, too.

I would personally save the money on the CD transport and spend it on improving your PC->DAC interface..

We're talking the difference between Volkswagens and Mercedes here. There is no way a computer set-up is going to beat a high grade cd player or transport/DAC.

In any event you are thread crapping.

Apr 28, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no way a computer set-up is going to beat a high grade cd player or transport/DAC.

i have always believed this as well. and everytime i hear a setup with a high end cd player, i think yes, that is right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back