C&C F1 Micro Amplifier for Headphones
Feb 5, 2008 at 3:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

yklee118

100+ Head-Fier
It would seem that my last review was not very good yet I received any feedback. Anyway, let us see how this one goes.

I just purchased a new headphone amplifier to replace the Little Dot Micro and the Shellbrook Mini Moy. Now I have the Little Dot MK-I, the C&C Box+, and the latest addition, which is the C&C F1. At first I thought that this amp was roughly the same size as the LDM, however now after receiving and listening to this mighty micro amp, it really is an elegant package. I am not the type of person to take apart an amp to see what is really inside. From the sound of that this amp produces and after a full 120-hour break-in, this amp has a very pleasant sound-stage followed by good amplification with the Sennheiser HD650 and the Audio Technica ATH-W1000.

This amplifier develops 120-Milliwatts per channel and features a volume knob and two switches. A gain switch and sound-stage enhancer to widen the audio field. I only use the gain switch to high since I prefer to have only one setting to suite both earbuds and large headphones. The C&C F1 mated to the Sennheiser HD650 makes for a decent pairing until something dynamic like the 1812 overture comes into play that is. Otherwise the Secret Island by Stanley Thomas Keiser makes for an excellent sound-stage and imaging with excellent warmth and feel comes to mind. The W1000 isn't so great since there is not enough amplification with this little amp. I will include pictures later on and for more info on the amp itself, visit headdb.com

Channel separation is also very good with excellent placement of the instruments out in space, or this case the headphone. Earbuds like the Sennheiser OMX90 and the ATH-EC7GM, both I own and use have their characters brought out by this headphone amplifier. According to the website, this micro-amp was specifically designed to drive earbuds and IEMs, however it also has enough amplification to drive headphones up to 300-ohms. I tested that part with the SENN HD650, and then with a lower impedance phone like the W1000 and the HD280-pro. The HD280 pro sounds very good and with excellent frequency response and channel separation. Using the track "Hard to Starboard" Titanic by James Horner the F1 is very capable in delivering those dynamic passages with the HD280, however with the 650, a slightly lower volume must be used in order to reduce bass distortion due to a slightly higher current drive demand with the HD650.

Judging from the audio signature this unit produces, it reminds me of the sound of the HE90 Orpheus, which I still own by the way. I think this is because of the large CAP that it uses to filter the power from the battery and also the absorption of certain frequencies from the input line stage. I will add more to this review in due time when I further listen to this amplifier. Until next time, I look forward to other reviews about this amp. TNK

Feb 6th 2008
Another addition I would like to make to compare to the XIN Reference. I have a dealer friend who purchased two of the F1's. One to be opened to see if there are any similarities with the XIN Reference since an OP Amp is not listed in the specification page at headdb.com. Pictures will be added to this review later on since I still am listening to characteristics of this amp. Any how there is a large 10000uf Capacitor made by Panasonic with rather short leads leading from the Alps volume pot and the battery supply. Everything is exceptionally packed inside this rather tiny package. Very stylish if I may add if not very functional. I am now charging this amp for the second time at the 180-hour mark total. The sound stage is much more open than with the C&C Box+, in fact one would characterize this amp as having a more airy three-dimensional sound-stage.

When I test and listen to music, I do not use any of the enhancements since I seek to have the purest listening experience. Using both the Sennheiser HD650 and HD280 as the listening bench followed by the AKG K701 with a Moon Audio Silver Dragon upgrade courtesy of a friend I have gotten the chance to further listen and compare between the C&C Box, the F1, and LDMK-I. I actually now own my friend's XIN Reference with the 15000uf cap.

Upon starting up the amp, which requires a twist of the volume pot until a click is heard. No startup noise is heard from the headphones when the F1 is turned on. I have the gain switch set to high for my preference only. In fact I find that the low setting is too soft and the high-setting more suitable for a wide range of headphones that now possess. Adding "The Drums of Jiangzhou" Intro track to my list, I am now able to hear the timbre effect that drums possess with the F1. In fact you can hear this more so with the X-Reference albeit with slightly less detail with more of a warmer sound-stage effect. A Detailed sound stage is presented with warm reverberations throughout the frequency range, plus a typical presence that reminds me of the HE90 headphone system that I still to this day listen to. The dynamic passages of the Chinese Drums in this track shows that the C&C F1 has what it takes to deliver the goods so to speak with very little fuss just so as long you do not exceed the 3-o'clock point with higher than 150-ohm headphones.

This little headphone is always surprising me with a great presentation of both highs and lows with excellent vocal presentation. Using Jennifer Warner's "The Famous Blue Raincoat", I was able to fully appreciate this amp, especially when mated to either the Sennheiser HD280 or the K701. The cello is presented with all the silkiness and appreciation followed by excellent timbre reverberation of the piano followed by Jennifer Warnes voice in the middle of the stage. The LDMK-I brings her voice closer to the front of the stage while you are sitting second to first front row center, while the F1 pushes you back to fourth or sixth row center. The K701 sounds even more natural with this amp. The her voice is presented along the same lines as with the Sennheiser HD280, however that is where the differences begin. The Cello is much more smoothly presented with a much more balance effect with the piano plus the reverb within the stage is further enhanced with the quality expected by AKG.

I will provide more details later on. Until then, I will add some more in the coming days. THANKS

Feb 5, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 2
Nice review.
I've been looking for more impressions on this amp. (looking for an amp to pair with my sony a816)
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back