C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Apr 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM Post #1,592 of 3,421
Quote:
That is true. Would need an external DAC to take advantage of the USB audio out, and it would have to have its own power source, I would think.

Yes, it's digital - you can't connect an amp straight to the USB OTG cable. No, most of the DACs don't need a separate power source. You just have to check, which are the supported ones. There are enough people here with different combos that work fine and I think there was a list somewhere with most of the USB DACs that will work with the S3

Apr 1, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #1,593 of 3,421
CK4 puts out a rather strong line out signal, high gain really isn't needed. I noticed with C3 (mine is on loan) with that DAP I may of used high gain, I can use high gain with CK4 it sounds rather full bodied, possibly slightly bassier, though I can hardly turn the volume pot! I have a pair of Ultrasone DJ1 turning up tomorrow so I'm going to give BH a run with full size headphones and open it up. I also I have iPod classic arriving this week I picked up cheap, so I'll see if I can get that all sounding decent. Need to purchase an SPC LOD though.

The only IEM's I tried that performed well with output2 were T-Peos H-100 and Klipsch X10 so far. Will be interesting to give the DJ1 some juice. I think my BH has pretty much just been idling since I've had it. I hardly ever leave 6 'o clock on the volume pot.

DOnt forget to RockBox your classic and see if you like it better. I have found it to sound very good, especially when crossfeed is enabled with "headphones" EQ. However, I'm currently using stock formware for sake of my car stereo and docking station to my rig (see avatar).

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:17 PM Post #1,594 of 3,421
DOnt forget to RockBox your classic and see if you like it better. I have found it to sound very good, especially when crossfeed is enabled with "headphones" EQ. However, I'm currently using stock formware for sake of my car stereo and docking station to my rig (see avatar).

I've been informed the iPod I have bought is actually an iPod video. We're still going to put rocbox on there anyway!

I need it mostly for FLAC support, and maybe some guilty EQ tweaking!

Apr 1, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #1,596 of 3,421
H2O what's the skinny on the new secret portable amp?

We're sending K0 on Tour around Australia, to let the members decide. I think it sounds good, rather natural, good speed, and surprisingly impressive separation and clarity, it's not going to slaughter the BH but what it does offer is something different, different flavour. It has more bass presence than BH and kicks a decent punch.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/657929/rhapsodio-k-series-k0-portable-amp-tour-australian-members

The full price is going to be around $50 - $60? However because it's on promotion, I think one can be had for around $35 + $10 shipping for a limited time. One would need to email Rhapsodio and speak to Charles.

By all means its rather capable but I want other members to confirm what I'm hearing.

Apr 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #1,600 of 3,421
Vemon, perhaps, but i tested how they sound and found Out1 working best for my IEMs. i think good idea would be to try both with your IEMs and decide which sounds best.

Apr 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #1,601 of 3,421
Quote:
I though the audio out via usb is digital audio out, not analog.

Stuff that then! Headphone out to amp it is then.

Apr 3, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #1,602 of 3,421
I got a pure silver LOD on the bh and wow did it improve the sennheiser hd 439!

I will never listen to a fiio LOD again lol

It really cleaned up the vocals and controlled the bass a lot better, this setup has sum pretty awesome synergy

Apr 4, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #1,603 of 3,421
Quote:
Okay, so I had a bit more time to play around with it and here's what I found.

I did a comparison with my Fiio E6.  When I have my earphones plugged into the E6 and turn it on, there is no sound but, you can hear a certain "empty" sound.  It's very hard to describe but if you've ever turned on speakers or turned up the volume of a t.v. when there is no sound, you can hear this "empty" sound.

On the C&C, Out2 is completely silent with Highgain on/off.  There is no "empty" sound like the E6.

On Out1 with Highgain off, it's completely silent.  Once again, there is no "empty" sound.  Dead silent.

However, on Out2 with Highgain on, I can hear a slight "whirring" sound.  This is even when it's not plugged into my mp3 player.  I only have the earphone plugged into the C&C.

I apologize, I don't mean it's a high pitched buzzing sound but, a faint but noticeable "whirring" sound.  Like a "beeeeeeeee" or "whheeeeeee" sound.

The sound is not high-pitched or extremely noticeable.  However, it's a bit annoying that I can hear this slight constant whirring.

When it's plugged into an mp3 player and a song is playing I can't tell if the whirring is there or not.

No one else's C&C has this issue?  Or is it just an issue because of the highgain/Out1 combination?  
frown.gif

I actually have a similar problem. (Not sure if this is normal for portable amps. I'm usually a speaker guy) I'm using my GR07 MKII and it's giving out a high pitched peep sound. And the weird thing is that it's only doing that to my left ear. Even when BH is not connected to the source, the sound is still there. 
It's actually annoying me a little during music switch because I can hear the faint (but clear) peep. 
Otherwise, this amp is a gem :)

EDIT: The noise is noticeable on Out1 but not really on the Out2 unless I turn on the highgain. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #1,604 of 3,421
Quote:
I actually have a similar problem. (Not sure if this is normal for portable amps. I'm usually a speaker guy) I'm using my GR07 MKII and it's giving out a high pitched peep sound. And the weird thing is that it's only doing that to my left ear. Even when BH is not connected to the source, the sound is still there. 
It's actually annoying me a little during music switch because I can hear the faint (but clear) peep. 
Otherwise, this amp is a gem :)

EDIT: The noise is noticeable on Out1 but not really on the Out2 unless I turn on the highgain. 

Yeah, I noticed I made a typo in my previous post.

The sound is only there when it's connected to Out1 and Highgain on.  Any other combination and it's dead silent.

Once it's connected to Out1 and Highgain on (even when when my earphones are the only thing connected to the BH amp.  It's not even connected to a source.), I'll hear the whirring sound.

Well, I spoke to the seller and already shipped it back for an exchange.  Here's to hoping that the new one is flawless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back