C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Mar 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,396 of 3,421
OK, so my BH finally died after around 95 hours. The funny thing is that it wasn't even charged to start with - I charged it for an hour after it previously ran out of juice and it lasted around 100 hours. I'm impressed

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM Post #1,397 of 3,421
Quote:
Has anyone tried the BH with ATH-M50 headphones? I want to buy this combination and was wondering how they'd pair.

And, thanks H2O for bringing this amp to our attention.

It's a perfect fit for the M50. It gives the M50 more space, and makes the headphone a lot cleaner.

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #1,398 of 3,421
Quote:
OK, so my BH finally died after around 95 hours. The funny thing is that it wasn't even charged to start with - I charged it for an hour after it previously ran out of juice and it lasted around 100 hours. I'm impressed

Those BH amps are freakish man! Come to think of it, all of you guys with the BH amps are freakish!

Ha just trollin'. I am jealous of those kind of hours though!

Mar 13, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #1,399 of 3,421
Quote:

Those BH amps are freakish man! Come to think of it, all of you guys with the BH amps are freakish!

Ha just trollin'. I am jealous of those kind of hours though!

well, I'm pretty sure it would have lasted above 100 hours with ease if it was fully charged although together with the hifimediy DAC it's mostly on low gain and 7 o'clock on the volume pot

Mar 14, 2013 at 12:39 AM Post #1,402 of 3,421
It's a perfect fit for the M50. It gives the M50 more space, and makes the headphone a lot cleaner.

Hey!

Thanks for that feedback, Bill. I made the previous post for Kamakahah before reading your reply.

Much appreciated. Guess I'm gonna buy me this combo.

Any advice on a SPECIFIC LOD model I should buy for this combo?

Thanks!

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #1,403 of 3,421
Does anyone think that the C&C BH would pair well with a pair of Grado SR60i's and a Rockbox'd iPod Video 5.5? Yes I realize the Grados do just fine without an amp but I'm using an E11 right now between the iPod and the SR60's and the E11 and I love the extra detail the E11 brings out and the nice bass kick my headphones need, but the mids get pushed back just a little too much for my liking. I'm going to upgrade to a higher tier Grado or Alessandro in the near future or maybe even a custom Magnum build.

I also discovered that my E11 has a slight channel imbalance leaning to the left which bugs me to no end. So I was considering trying a CMoyBB until I started reading this thread and the E11 comparisons. So, what do you guys think about the C&C BH with my current/future setup? It wouldn't be too harsh, would it?

Mar 14, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #1,404 of 3,421
Ok so here's my comparison between the c&c bh and the headstage arrow 4g. The song I'm using is Change (In the House of Flies) by the deftones, the file type is 256 aac iTunes bought. This test is done on both the ipod 5.5 flat eq and the iPod touch 4g flat eq and both using LOD, also the bh has LF on SF off and is on out 1 the arrow is on bass 1 and all other switches off. Volume 75% on both using Logitech UE 6000 closed headphones

First the bh : the acoustic guitar in the into is very pleasant and chill, and the the bass guitar hits hard and full sounding and present. Soft vocals from chino Moreno sound mega detailed, you can really hear every little crack in the voice. Background effects and voices sound very open and noticeable (one of my favorites things about the bh). Electric guitar kicks in loud with lots of treble and percussion from the drums while the bass line and louder but clear vocals continue, it executes instrumental separation pretty damn good but it's a little on the treble side

Now the arrow 4g: the acoustic guitar is very balanced and true sounding, the bass guitar slams into the intro with authority and very good control, nice rich sound. Then the soft vocals come in and have very good definition and calm. The background voices and effects are spot on but not as lovable as the bh. Electric guitar steals it big time with warmth and the vocals get louder and have meaning while sounding intentionally cold, the drums sound balanced and well spread. The bass falls behind the music and fills it in so freakin nice. The arrow seperates all this at once into a very layered and detailed presentation, this amp is honestly neutral and fills holes in the music one might say.

Overall the literal winner is the arrow 4g. It excels where most stuff struggles, the separation is better when things heat up
But honestly the bh might sound better to some people it's that close. And you can't beat the price and battery life. So if you have neither I would get the bh first to see if it suits you. Legendary deal! And better soundstage.

Hope you enjoyed (only took me an hour and a half)

Mar 14, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #1,405 of 3,421
mpawluk, interesting review, and a fair one cause Arrow costs 299$ and it must be better sounding.... still the fact that BH can get so close speaks volumes in its favor. i wonder how BH compares to more expensive siblings like Tralucent T1 (some call T1 a reference amp) and also brandnew UHA6MkII (amp+dac). it appears we have many more great offerings for amps than for DAPs since great DAPs can be count by single hand fingers :frowning2:

mind this i wonder how BH would compare to T1 which is amp only and also to UHA6MkII which is ampDac + has a toslink in. there are also nice amps from ALO, Fostex and many more actually but price wise BH is a killer if you need only amp and i cannot justify comparing it to amps costing above 300$, would be not fair.

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,406 of 3,421
Quote:
Does anyone think that the C&C BH would pair well with a pair of Grado SR60i's and a Rockbox'd iPod Video 5.5? Yes I realize the Grados do just fine without an amp but I'm using an E11 right now between the iPod and the SR60's and the E11 and I love the extra detail the E11 brings out and the nice bass kick my headphones need, but the mids get pushed back just a little too much for my liking. I'm going to upgrade to a higher tier Grado or Alessandro in the near future or maybe even a custom Magnum build.

I also discovered that my E11 has a slight channel imbalance leaning to the left which bugs me to no end. So I was considering trying a CMoyBB until I started reading this thread and the E11 comparisons. So, what do you guys think about the C&C BH with my current/future setup? It wouldn't be too harsh, would it?

I've only had the BH for about a (very busy) week & have only gotten to spend a couple minutes with it connected to my SR-80's so can't give a very definitive answer. It did seem to push the high end close to being over the top - a sound many of the Grado detracters would say you don't need an amp to do 
cool.gif
Hopefully after the weekend things will ease up & I'll be able to spend some more time with that combo & have a better answer for you. I didn't have time to try the different setting, outputs, etc. What time I've spent with the BH has mainly been with a recently aquired set of Sennheiser HD-598's & it does seem to lift what people call the "Sennheiser veil" a little bit. I'm one of those who like the Grado sound & have a feeling that with the right combination on the BH switches & outputs it should make them sound very good.

Mar 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #1,407 of 3,421
The low end on TF10 (stock cable) using LF switch is some nicest texture I have ever heard, deep powerful and punchy . I always liked TF10 bass seperation and the extra power just ices the cake. They respond really well to the LF switch overall, clarity and detail along side that low end at higher volumes is full on experience. Of course this wouldnt exactly be possible without CK4. And the treble, man... The treble.

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,408 of 3,421
Hello folks.

I'm looking to pickup the C&C BH amp but there appears to be a couple of different sellers on ebay.

There's 3 on ebay, with one seller selling it for $94.  One thing I notice is that none of them list the rubber bands as included in the package.  Are they included?

Aliexpress has it for $96.

Which seller did you guys buy it from?

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #1,409 of 3,421
Most order through eBay seller pollychen. Although the bands arent shown do not worry theyre included for your strapping pleasure. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back