C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jan 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #316 of 3,421
Quote:
I ordered me a pair of the C&C BH so I'm looking forward to hearing them and comparing them to the E11 and E6 I have.  I'm also looking at getting a DAP that I can use a LOD with because I'm guessing you get better SQ that way.  I'd like to get an iPod Classic or maybe a Nano but not the new one as they changed the line out for some reason.

I use an old iPhone 4 and turn on Airplane mode so it is only a player for me all the time. Installed EQ and Capriccio apps and love their functionality and SQ. Get to use all my itunes playlists as well as play my FLAC files.

@ ~ TechnoKid - you notice I threw in a little 1200 micrograms for you?

Most of my tests were done through a copper cable out of the high bit rate sound card, I did switch occasionally to my iphone, same source music and FLACs through my Silver LOD and noticed the same characteristics. I will switch to my Fiio LOD and A/B using the silver - I think I will also order 'orange thingy' as well but did want to try a silver cable to see what the hype was about. Keep in mind I am a V Shaped guy (but steal my mids either) and have my stuff EQed (ever so slightly) that way. So I can dial that top back just a touch. The highs were in no means bad, but I do not need any more there and it is just good info in case someone who likes a real warm and smoother top end would be interested in those observations.

@ ` H2OFidelity - have you noticed any change in the Sound Sig after some hours on the amp?

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #317 of 3,421
@ ~ BustyBloke - can you point me to that Orangey Thingy, I like the looks of that one and would like to get one?

Jan 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #318 of 3,421
Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'm either going to get a classic iPod that I'll RockBox (I never thought I'd get an iPod, ever, I'm not a huge Apple fan) or get the Colorfly CK4 because I think it looks like a good PMP and Colorfly are known to have good SQ.

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #319 of 3,421
Quote:
@ ~ BustyBloke - can you point me to that Orangey Thingy, I like the looks of that one and would like to get one?

I bought it in a local store in Hong Kong (same place I purchased the C&C BH and that Silver LOD). I know that some of these local HK shops have Ebay shops that ship internationally, but I'm not really sure who is who.

This is a link to their site featuring the cable question but with 3.5 mm jacks on both ends: http://www.mingo-hmw.com/home/goods.php?id=1951 . Can't seem to find one with the LOD though. They don't have a complete list of all their actual products on their website. My one has a straight 3.5 mm jack, but I have also seen one with a right-angle jack.

It turns out it does have a proper name after all: "Ghadmes Germany high quality 3.5 copper plus silver-wrapped signal wire". I went ahead and Googled "Ghadmes LOD" but couldn't find anything remotely useful. Something probably got lost in translation.

I suppose that any silver coated copper LOD will have similar sonic characteristics? But if you are attracted to its orangey visual appeal, I don't know where else to look, unfortunately.

Perhaps the vendor who sold you your Silver LOD will also have the Orangey Thingy? I suspect that they are made by the same company/people in the PRC. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Jan 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #320 of 3,421
@ ` H2OFidelity - have you noticed any change in the Sound Sig after some hours on the amp?

The only thing I noticed out of the box was a slight hint of sibilance using the LF switch on some tracks, which settled within an hour or two. Apart from that I haven't been able to detect any changes personally.

Jan 27, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #321 of 3,421
Put a few more hours in on the Amp and I can say that I am even more impressed now. Mainly stuck with my X10s and I can say this will be my go to amp for these IEMs as it really unveils the vocals and the details are just fantastic. I am still of the same opinion that I would love just a hair more mids and bass but don't take that is there are not there, just that I would like a little more. Have settled in on high gain setting and SF on with headphone out number 2. The main thing that this amp has is details and clarity. Some other amps might detail more of the background instruments better but this is really quite good. bass is very punchy and tight. I do believe I feel the 'just a touch over the top on the highs' may be backing off now with a little time in on the amp.

I did do some A/B with the fiio L9 and my Silver LOD. I cannot say the fiio was warmer or that the silver was brighter but what I can say is the silver has better detail, clarity and hit. Just gave my fiio to my son so there.

I know I still owe a comparison to my Headstage Arrow but I want to give the BH a run through on its own first. This thing is fantastic and the price is just another added bonus.

Oh yeah and I am still running on the charge that the unit came with
darthsmile.gif

Jan 27, 2013 at 4:08 AM Post #322 of 3,421
I pretty much agree with your findings. I still can`t have either the SF or LF switch on due to the added top end but I still do not have many hours on it.
I find the mids forward and the whole sound more compact and less "3D" like but I will give this amp a chance and just see how it ends up.
Still a bargain at the price.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #323 of 3,421
Can anyone say what trance sounds like on this amp?

Here is some guest mix I did a while back:
 https://soundcloud.com/liftedandreas/mark-winstanley-northern

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #324 of 3,421
Is there a difference between this and the C&C BK?  They both have the same description on amazon, yet they are ~$20 cheaper.

Jan 27, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #325 of 3,421
Is there a difference between this and the C&C BK?  They both have the same description on amazon, yet they are ~$20 cheaper.

C&C BH is the upgraded version of BK, using more components inside. If you look at this post you can see pictures of the internals.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/60#post_9029035

Using eBay listings, BH is only around $10 greater than BK so seems the logical choice. To my awareness no-one here has tested BK version.

Jan 28, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #326 of 3,421
After exactly two weeks from order date it's finally here! And wow... I'm blown away. Just unboxed it and been listening to a few different songs. It's like day and night compared to the D-Zero, which now sounds like a big muffled quilt between you and the source.

The highs are so much more clean yet still very smooth, a tad sibilant which I hope will be better after some burn-in. Percussion sounds veeery open and clear. When I switch to the D-Zero it sounds like a Coca Cola can.

The mids widens and becomes more accurate, guitars gets that extra edgy and controlled tone, voices sounds amazing and life like, feels like they're right by your ear. Drums are unreal, dreamlike. Listen to Run Like Hell from Pink Floyd's album Pulse and you know what I mean...

The lows were the first thing I noticed was different, they go even further down and feels more tight and smooth, not muddy at all.

The SF switch makes wonders, really subtle change but still insanely noticable for some weird reason, Bon Iver sounds like heaven with this.

The LF switch works amazing too. The SE215 is quite rich with bass already but the switch makes it complete. Much thicker sound but still keeps the airiness.

Soundstage and separation is much better, wider and you can spot the instruments and small sounds better, the SF switch helps even more here.

I love the build quality, feels robust and the coating is great compared to the matte D-Zero which also feels a bit flimsy now.
The input and outputs could be a little tighter though.

Did my best to "review" this after just 40 minutes, will probably update in a week or two.

Edit: Crystal Castles - Pale Flesh with both LF/SF on sounds so damn good it makes me smile. The bass is like a punch in the face, both in depth and impact, and still the mids and highs sounds clear as a bell.

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #327 of 3,421
^^ nice looking kit you have there. I ordered a C&C BH a week ago, so i hope i have swift shipping like you did. I also have the iPod Classic 7th gen. Only difference will be the iem's and those will be the VSONIC GR07 MKII's. I have a feeling it will be something special...

Cheers! :)

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #328 of 3,421
Quote:
^^ nice looking kit you have there. I ordered a C&C BH a week ago, so i hope i have swift shipping like you did. I also have the iPod Classic 7th gen. Only difference will be the iem's and those will be the VSONIC GR07 MKII's. I have a feeling it will be something special...

Cheers!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks! I bet it will be great! Leaned towards GR07 at first, but it seemed better to leave my savings account alone and go for the SE215
rolleyes.gif

Jan 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #329 of 3,421
Thanks! I bet it will be great! Leaned towards GR07 at first, but it seemed better to leave my savings account alone and go for the SE215 :rolleyes:
Lol i almost went with the SE215, but its really just known as a good price/performance IEM. I'm in the other "camp" that I didnt want to waste money on something i would just throw away or be unsatisfied with it. Plus, it will bring the source and amp to its potential. Found them for $150 too so its not a huge price jump like some companies that just gouge you. Anyways, great mind think alike!

Jan 28, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #330 of 3,421
mtntwg

How difficult was it to stretch the straps around both units? I thought I read they were too small to expand around much more than the BH alone. Wonder if they switched to larger elastic bands. Thought I might go with velcro but it looks like I can use the bands just like your photos show.

Thanks for the preliminary review and photos. Glad to hear it doesn't disappoint.

Can't wait for mine to arrive. They are "in transit".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back