C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Jan 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #301 of 3,421
The o2 is more transparent, the BH is not 100% transparent to my ears. But for an portable amp it is really nice and it costs 99usd. For me as ive explained before the LF switch is more effective with iems than with headphones. But it helps on headphones aswell it gives that little extra subbass that makes you enjoy sertain genres more. Soundfield button did help on my yamaha iems makiung it sound more open, but I prefered to not use it on cans. So if you are looking for the best performance go for o2, if you want soemthing to be portable that you can take with you easyily get the BH. just my two cents on it.

Jan 25, 2013 at 3:44 PM Post #302 of 3,421
Hmmm...That makes it a tough decision between the O2 and the BH. I don't have the extra battery life, and I would mostly use it with full sized cans. Although it doesn't have to be completely transparent. I'm looking for better than what my Xonar STX headphone output was doing. If it's cleaner than that, might do the trick. :)

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:32 PM Post #303 of 3,421
She arrived in the mail today. 10 days to day from order to arrival in the US. Unboxing pictures.

The unit itself is a very nice build. Switches on back are very tight and secure. Jacks could be a little tighter for my taste but solid none the less.Volume control is nice as well, maybe a hair tighter while turning but hopefully it won't move while in pocket as I don't think I have even made it past 1/4 turn before I could see my ears getting blown out. A little thinner than my iPhone and about 2/3 the length so a very nice size. USB cable, wall charger, mini to mini cable, 2 rubber bands and a couple of colored fish
eek.gif
. Initial sound impressions coming soon...

Jan 25, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #306 of 3,421
Congrats guy's!

When you have settled in with your amp, please try your X10 using output 2 on high gain with the LF switch on. For some reason they behave very differently compared to output 1 becoming very clear and detailed, while some of that bass bloat disappears, they sound much more balanced when I tried. yet my other Hybrid behaved in an opposite fashion. Unfortunately my X10 are currently lost in the postal system somewhere. I'm also very interested how your GR07 MK2 perform.

Can someone tell me what those red and yellow fish shaped objects are? I got a blue one in mine o.o 

They are for wrapping your IEM cables around. :p

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #307 of 3,421
I will give that a shot tonight, only tried my GR02 so far with all the standard settings and output 1.

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #308 of 3,421
Quote:
I will give that a shot tonight, only tried my GR02 so far with all the standard settings and output 1.

zerocoolhifi, what is your opinion about the sound quality of the amp? Do you think that it is worth?

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #309 of 3,421
Listening Impressions:
First set with RE0, low gain, SF and LF off. First word that comes to mind is clean. Very sound stage listening to some 1000 kbs FLAC. Very bright sound, not sibilant but you do not need any more treble that what is here, this may mellow out a bit with some burn as I am only about 3 hours into me first session. No recessed highs here. Very good high instrument separation but I think when you get some more hours in it, you will get more separation as I could I hear of few of the high freqs running together. Lows and mids are very tight with good separation. Remember this is with both SF and LF off and yes there could be some more low and mids to warm the sig up a bit. This is one powerful little amp, powers IEMs no problem, with about 2/3s still to go on the volume knob and on low gain, high gain with cans should be no problem.

Hit the LF switch - there is that low end and more lush mids, maybe could use a bit more hit and tightness on toms but still overall very nice impact. Its kind of a universal low boost.

Again the detail is just incredible, with Seether - Fallen, you can really hear the different instruments and the vocals are lush - Loving the accuracy. Just does everything better than say an E6.

There is definitely something to this output 1 and 2 thing - Gain is different as I need to go almost double on the volume meter but the highs are tamed a bit here which is actually a good thing and the soundstage is much wider here unless that has something to do the tamer highs - low end also seems a bit tighter which is also good. this would be the preferred headphone output as you have better sound and more control over the volume level.

Turn on the SF switch - This is certainly Music voodoo - whoa does the soundstage widen but it may add a bit more to the top end of which there is already plenty.

Throw in the X10's, High Gain, LF on, SF off - Makes the low end on the X10s sing, great sub bass, tight and punchy mids, listening to Spoon - The Underdog, may be the best I have heard these X10s sound I think the X10s can sound a little veiled at times and I think this amp can open up that top end quite nicely. Throw on a little Volbeat - Heaven nor Hell and man oh man that low end is phenominal but again just a hair too much on the high end.

Lets chuck in the GR07 BEs - Same setting as above - well hello low end and these baby's can handle the high end quite well, not even hint of getting sibilant. Best with the mids so far. Threw in a little 1200 micrograms - Acid for Nothing. Welcome to the clarity, give me just a bit more on the low end and a touch less of the high end (which can be done with EQ very easily).

Overall this is quite and impressive amp, great form factor, nice features, sound quality is excellent, great power, clarity. I see a couple things that rate it a little lower (and both are just slight critiques): 1. Maybe a little bright on the high end for some but I am a V shaped guy and quite like it and I think it will tame down a bit with some burn. 2. Could use just a bit more punch in the mids and sub end but I am just being picky here. The LF switch is not coming off anytime soon. Keep in mind some of my comments have a little do with using my Headstage Arrow as a guide which I will do a separate comparison there but one is $100 and the other is $300. Anyone looking for a portable Amp and wants a little something more than a Fiio etc. will love this little baby and I can't really think of another one in the price range that would compare. Oh yeah and I still have not even charged it yet just using the juice that it came with. More to come...

Jan 26, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #311 of 3,421
@~ zerocoolhifi: Is that a 100% silver LOD you're using? Silver tends to brighten the signal, I found it a touch cold for my tastes sticking to silver plated. I'm wondering if the combination of your source / silver LOD is pushing that high end over the edge slightly. If you have L9 there or copper cable give it a try... If it's only minimal like you're describing try changing out your cable, let us know when you have time. Treble with Colorfly C3 is probably the brightest I've heard BH but still wasn't enough to mention, that was using copper and silver plated cables. I actually find the amp a touch warm and another member neutral, our sources and LOD's play a big part in what we're hearing.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #312 of 3,421
Quote:
zerocoolhifi, congratulations and thanks for opinions.

I'm confused about sinergy of this amp with Triple.fi's. Upper mids and highs may be uncomfortable.

I think there won't be any sinergy problem with your Triple.fi's. I pulled the trigger on these little monster. Thanks zerocoolhifi.

Jan 26, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #313 of 3,421
Quote:
@~ zerocoolhifi: Is that a 100% silver LOD you're using? Silver tends to brighten the signal, I found it a touch cold for my tastes sticking to silver plated. I'm wondering if the combination of your source / silver LOD is pushing that high end over the edge slightly. If you have L9 there or copper cable give it a try... If it's only minimal like you're describing try changing out your cable, let us know when you have time. Treble with Colorfly C3 is probably the brightest I've heard BH but still wasn't enough to mention, that was using copper and silver plated cables. I actually find the amp a touch warm and another member neutral, our sources and LOD's play a big part in what we're hearing.

Absolutely agree re the silver LOD. I have the exact same LOD! It boosts the treble significantly.

From left to right:

FiiO LOD: pretty neutral.
The Orangey Thing: I think it's just thick copper? Not really sure what it is made of, but it definitely "warms" up the signal.
?% Silver LOD: very bright and brings out lots of top end detail. Can be a wee bit fatiguing with certain IEMs or songs.
C&C BH: velcro'ed to an iPod Classic w/ case.

Jan 26, 2013 at 9:52 AM Post #314 of 3,421
I ordered me a pair of the C&C BH so I'm looking forward to hearing them and comparing them to the E11 and E6 I have.  I'm also looking at getting a DAP that I can use a LOD with because I'm guessing you get better SQ that way.  I'd like to get an iPod Classic or maybe a Nano but not the new one as they changed the line out for some reason.

Jan 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #315 of 3,421
I ordered me a pair of the C&C BH so I'm looking forward to hearing them and comparing them to the E11 and E6 I have.  I'm also looking at getting a DAP that I can use a LOD with because I'm guessing you get better SQ that way.  I'd like to get an iPod Classic or maybe a Nano but not the new one as they changed the line out for some reason.
I personally recommend the iPod Classic over other sub $300 DAPs. You can RockBox it and it come with 160 gb storage, or you can buy one on ebay thats modded with even more space. The LOD is good, and its also compatible with many car stereo receivers that are iDevice friendly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back