C&C BH Portable Headphone Amp (80 Hours from a Single Charge!) [Buyer Review]
Apr 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #1,711 of 3,421
Owning both the E12 and the C&C BH, I decided to ship the E12 back to Amazon. To me, the E12 is a very good amp with only certain types of phones (analytical, neutral, even more tipped to treble). With bassy (not over-bassy), warm phones, the E12 just makes things warm and almost sounds veiled. This is not a criticism, just my view. I had the Arrow 4G and it had a nifty treble boost (2 levels). The E12 could use this feature. Of course, the Arrow costs $299 new, so not a fair comparison. I was choosing here between the E12 and the C&C BH ($99) and with my gear, the C&C came out on top over the E12. I also love the C&C BH's SF control for live recordings.
Read my comparison between the c&c bh and the arrow 4g you'll be shocked http://www.head-fi.org/t/644363/c-c-bh-portable-headphone-amp-80-hours-from-a-single-charge-buyer-review/1395#post_9257775

Apr 15, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #1,712 of 3,421
Done and on the money. While I didn't have the Arrow when I got the C&C BH (used some of the Arrow sale funds to finance the C&C), I know that as much as I really did like the Arrow, the C&C may just be a better match with my gear and certainly no slouch by comparison. Is the C&C less neutral than the Arrow? Yes, no doubt about it. But I really do dig the little things the C&C LF and SF switches deliver with many of my phones. I am definitely not keeping the E12. It's a good match with say an Ety Kids (I have a pair) but just doesn't work with what I own. And to me, the $$$ gap between the Arrow and the BH is not worth it. Now, that's just a personal preference, of course. I still think the Arrow is an amazing piece of gear.

Also, I never carry an amp around with me on the street/on the go. Only use it at home really. So the Arrow form factor, not an issue. Of course, the C&C is hardly bulky.

Thanks for that link. I am on the same page.
It really is all about the synergy you know, my senns absolutely love the bh cause how it balances out the dark sennheiser sound

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #1,713 of 3,421
Owning both the E12 and the C&C BH, I decided to ship the E12 back to Amazon. To me, the E12 is a very good amp with only certain types of phones (analytical, neutral, even more tipped to treble). With bassy (not over-bassy), warm phones, the E12 just makes things warm and almost sounds veiled. This is not a criticism, just my view. I had the Arrow 4G and it had a nifty treble boost (2 levels). The E12 could use this feature. Of course, the Arrow costs $299 new, so not a fair comparison. I was choosing here between the E12 and the C&C BH ($99) and with my gear, the C&C came out on top over the E12. I also love the C&C BH's SF control for live recordings.

Exactly what I heard with E11, compared to the sources headphone out.

Apr 17, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,714 of 3,421
A question just popped up in my head.  Its related to EMI noise.

I'm familiar with EMI noise (the buzzing sound) but is a crackling, popping sound considered EMI noise as well?

I'm starting to notice it more with my BH amp.

My Fiio E6 has the traditional EMI noise (buzzing) but I never noticed a crackling/static, popping sound with it.

But with the BH, I notice crackling, popping sounds sometimes when I pause a song, or when there is silence in the song.

Sorry for the noob question.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,715 of 3,421
Quote:
A question just popped up in my head.  Its related to EMI noise.

I'm familiar with EMI noise (the buzzing sound) but is a crackling, popping sound considered EMI noise as well?

I'm starting to notice it more with my BH amp.

My Fiio E6 has the traditional EMI noise (buzzing) but I never noticed a crackling/static, popping sound with it.

But with the BH, I notice crackling, popping sounds sometimes when I pause a song, or when there is silence in the song.

Sorry for the noob question.

popping is normal, but i don't know about crakling/static sound. people get static sound from turning the volume nob on certain amps, but I don't know as I don't have a BH.

Apr 17, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #1,716 of 3,421
pop sound is normal, cracking not...

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #1,717 of 3,421
Pop noise when turning on is normal. I now have 2 of the amps and neither exhibit crackling when rotating the volume pot and that is with high gain/LF on. I would suspect a cheap interconnect or a possibly dodgy LOD or even interference from the source.

As I have said above, I now have 2 of these :)

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #1,718 of 3,421
What sinth said. I would look to the output jacks first, since they were loose to begin with. Try out 2 and see if you still get the cracking. A dirty pot could also be the culprit, and if the cracking is amplified, then it could very well be the LOD or 3.5 to 3.5 cable.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:30 PM Post #1,719 of 3,421
By the way, I am still loving this little amp, H2O. It makes my X11 X10 with double flanged tips come alive. Best 100 bucks I have spent in a long time, especially with that insane battery life.

edit: too much Linux lately.

Apr 17, 2013 at 4:49 PM Post #1,720 of 3,421
Rav, right, i just forgo to suggest checking the lod cable first, happened to my daughter using iPod as well... the lod can be the real culprit.

Apr 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #1,721 of 3,421
Well tried testing it out more. Even tried 2 other 3.5 interconnect cables. On out2 the crackling is there but its less noticeable. Definitely more noticeable on Out1. It only seems to happen when I pause a song or when I turn on the BH.

In airplane mode however, the crackling noise is gone on both out1 and 2. Even when a song is paused or when I turn on the bh, it seems to gone.

Im guessing my S3 is causing a lot of interference. Or the BH is sensitive to my S3.

But I always assumed EMI noise is a buzzing noise, not this crackling sound

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #1,722 of 3,421
By the way, I am still loving this little amp, H2O. It makes my X11 X10 with double flanged tips come alive. Best 100 bucks I have spent in a long time, especially with that insane battery life.

edit: too much Linux lately.

Yes, BH was a great find for most it seems, I still only charge mine once every 2 - 3 weeks. :p

Sounds crazy saying that, though it continues pumping out the same impressive SQ!

@~Sinth: Your photo has been added to the members rigs album on the first page.

Apr 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #1,723 of 3,421
Quote:
Well tried testing it out more. Even tried 2 other 3.5 interconnect cables. On out2 the crackling is there but its less noticeable. Definitely more noticeable on Out1. It only seems to happen when I pause a song or when I turn on the BH.

In airplane mode however, the crackling noise is gone on both out1 and 2. Even when a song is paused or when I turn on the bh, it seems to gone.

Im guessing my S3 is causing a lot of interference. Or the BH is sensitive to my S3.

But I always assumed EMI noise is a buzzing noise, not this crackling sound

Airplane mode is the only relief for this unfortunately.

I have the Note 2 and I went through the same thing.  I didn't mind putting it in airplane mode.  I figured that if I missed a call or text I could just check my messages later.  It does suck I know.  Perhaps there may be a future fix for this on an update, but I probably wouldn't bank on it.

Apr 18, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #1,724 of 3,421
Quote:
Airplane mode is the only relief for this unfortunately.

I have the Note 2 and I went through the same thing.  I didn't mind putting it in airplane mode.  I figured that if I missed a call or text I could just check my messages later.  It does suck I know.  Perhaps there may be a future fix for this on an update, but I probably wouldn't bank on it.

Thank you for the input.  I remember you mentioned you had a Note2 with the same problem.  It kinda stinks.

It's just strange.  Or at least new to me.  I've heard EMI noise before and it's a buzzing noise.  My Fiio E6 has this problem.

But the BH's crackling sound is something I've never heard before because of EMI noise.

Apr 19, 2013 at 1:42 AM Post #1,725 of 3,421
Thank you for the input.  I remember you mentioned you had a Note2 with the same problem.  It kinda stinks.

It's just strange.  Or at least new to me.  I've heard EMI noise before and it's a buzzing noise.  My Fiio E6 has this problem.

But the BH's crackling sound is something I've never heard before because of EMI noise.

I have to recommend getting a dedicated DAP. I have an HTC Thunderbolt and the EMI interference on the BH is pretty bad, even when using IPod classic and LOD. I can't imagine how bad it would be with a phone piggy-backed with BH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back