C&C BH Battery Replacement
Oct 21, 2014 at 6:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

NorthernEnd

New Head-Fier
Hey folks,

So I've had a C&C BH portable headphone amp for about two years now, and over the last three months or so I've hardly used it. It's been sitting there waiting for use, so I just picked it up again and I've discovered that the damn thing won't charge!

If I plug the amp in via the mini-USB connector to either my computer or a wall adapter, it will turn on and function as normal (but won't charge), and if I keep it off, it won't show the red light and won't charge at all.

Every so often, when I plug it in again, the red charging light will flash for a split second, then disappear.

The unit is easy to take apart, and I've actually removed the battery to see if there are any issues, but so far I've found none.
Any ideas as to how to fix this?

Alternatively, does anyone know how I could go about obtaining a new battery?
The company that makes the BH is based in China, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to buy a suitable battery here instead. I just have no idea what to look for.

The battery connects with a 2-pin Molex connector, as seen below.
http://www.shenzhenaudio.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/3/_/3_6_5.jpg

This is the battery I'm looking at as a replacement:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/339

Thanks!

Nov 7, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #3 of 3
I'm writing this for anyone who happens to search for this kind of problem on here.

The battery I linked to from sparkfun.com and purchased works well!

It's a 1000 Mah lithium polymer battery with a 2-pin JST-PH connector.
It's fairly simple to remove the old battery - you simply need to unscrew the four case screws. I used one of the star-shaped screwdrivers I received with an iPhone repair kit. When the end panels are unscrewed from the case, you can slide the board out and access the old battery.
The old battery is easily removed by pulling out the 2-pin connector and prying the battery loose from the double-sided tape keeping it on the board.

***The key thing to note***
The battery noted above has REVERSED POLARITY from the board. That means if you plug it in, it won't work straight away.

The fix for this is extremely simple.
You will note that the little white JST connector plug (JST connector) has a rib along the top that fits into the slot on the board so that you orient it correctly. All you have to do is turn the connector upside-down. Of course, the connector won't fit anymore because the slot on the board isn't oriented with the connector anymore, so you have to trim the top of the slot on the board with an exacto knife. This opens the slot on the board up, and you can now connect your little white JST connector upside-down. HUZZAH!!! :D It works!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back