Bypassing the iPod's dac on the go
Apr 9, 2013 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lo2-NL

New Head-Fier
Hello, first poster here.

My apologies if this thread already exists somewhere, but i really need some help!
I have a couple of questions regarding the purchase of a portable amp/dac to pair with my 7G iPod classic and Sennheiser HD25-II.
Music: almost everything from house, dubstep to rock and classical.

I really want to bypass the internal DAC of the iPod, but I've read that there are few portable amp/dacs that work. Those that can are far too expensive for me (my budget is less than 150 euros), or too big...

Secondly, I really like the Ibasso D-Zero for it's small & thin form factor, internal dac (which apparently is of no use to me since it doesn't bypass the iPod), and rechargeable battery.
But I've read in another thread that the D-Zero doesn't pair well with the HD25-II, is that true?

The Fiio E7 & E17 are options as well, although I find them a bit thick and I like the D-Zero better. However, they are better available in my country (the Netherlands) and I might be able to pick one up secondhand (I don't mind buying secondhand).

What do you guys recommend?

Apr 9, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 5
Get a used fostex HP-p1 or the sony pha-1. You'll have an amp and an external dac at the same time. You won't have to experiment. Non portable, HRT IStreamer.

Apr 9, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 5
Those are way above my budget, and they are quite big too...

I was looking in the used amp section and I found a D-Zero for sale for 60 dollars, I'm very tempted to buy it and wait untill a new portable amp-dac comes up that supports my iPod...

Also, is the Topping D1 Mk II a good alternative?

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM Post #4 of 5
At your budget, there are very limited options. E7 and E17 won't work on your ipod.

Only Go-Dap X, HP-P1, PHA-1, HiFi-M8, ADL Furutech X1, Go-Dap DD Socket 1 (DAC only), and CLAS (DAC only) will be able to bypass internal iDevice DAC without any modifications. Those DAC/Amp start at least 400 USD.

How about used Go-Dap X? It's the smallest from the list above.

Apr 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
How about used Go-Dap X? It's the smallest from the list above.

Such a nice amp/dac, and it fits my requirements nicely. 
However, at 330USD used it is still twice my budget...

I feel like I should just settle with 'normal' amping, as there isn't anything on the market (yet?) fitting my needs...

I almost went with the D-Zero, but I read it doesn't pair well with the HD25-II because they're both very neutral sounding with emphasis on mids.

Does anyone have experience pairing the D zero with HD25-II and would a recable add more warmth to it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back