Bypassing IHP's amp when hooked up to receiver
Feb 28, 2004 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Sweet Spot

1000+ Head-Fier
First off, I'm sure most of you are aware that in order to bypass the IHP's amplifier, DSP's and EQ when using the line out, the volume has to be turned all the way up to 40. (thus making it a true line out, or so it's said)

Well, Ive got my IHP hooked up to my Onkyo receiver via RCA cables because my onkyo has no digital ins/outs. (TX-SV 515 Pro) I've hooked the RCA plugs into where the CD player normally is, otherwise I'd have to of chosen between Phono, Video 3 or 4...or somethig like that. couple video inputs already used.

Now with this configuration, I was assuming that the IHP's amp would be bypassed, thus using the Onkyos amp, but my observations seem to contradict this. I noticed that when I change the EQ settings, it's still active. If this is the case, then I'm either forgetting something in the chain to the receiver, or this set up in its self does not follow the standard bypassing procedures.

Could it be the input jacks I chose ? The circuitry route ? I'm open....

Feb 28, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 5
To tell you the truth, all you're experiencing is that the DSP stage is before the DAC. The DSP digitally alters the signal, either with EQ (What you're experiencing) or Volume (Attentuates it from 0DB to maybe -4DB or something..). Everything is happening digitally so I see no reason for why you would have any misgivings about using it this way.

Feb 28, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #3 of 5
Well, it's not that I really mind it being this way, it's just that I was under the impression (I could swear someone somewhere said this) that with the latest firmware, the DSP/EQ's were totally bypassed when using the line out . I'm now wondering if this is only possible when using the line out as an optical out. (s/pdif conn.)

Feb 29, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by Sweet Spot
Well, it's not that I really mind it being this way, it's just that I was under the impression (I could swear someone somewhere said this) that with the latest firmware, the DSP/EQ's were totally bypassed when using the line out . I'm now wondering if this is only possible when using the line out as an optical out. (s/pdif conn.)

In my personal opinion, if you want to bypass DSP/EQ, then just turn them off. The thing with the volume changing is digital attentuation. The iHP runs at full blast all the time and attentuates the MP3 digitally until it reaches the desired volume level. Or atleast, that's how think it works.

I think the line out always bypasses any 'Amps', the DSP/EQ part of it is essential to the operation of the machine as almost all manipulation of the sound takes place there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back