Bypass USB DAC or use mini Toslink?
Nov 13, 2013 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

GBechz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I was not quite sure where to post this, but it is mostly unspecific to components and more of a cabling question. The computer forum looked too peripheral specific.

I'm creating a computer based headphone listening system with a USB DAC and headphone amp. There happens to be a television in the room, so I thought why not have the ability to listen to movies on the same equipment? The DAC just has a single USB input. So I have been bypassing the DAC with RCA cables coming from the DVD player, but it doesn't sound the same as sound from the computer. I then began thinking of ways to pump the sound through the computer to utilize the DAC.

I come from a recording background, trying to keep digital to analog conversions to a minimum. Because of this, I would prefer not to go from RCA cables out of the DVD player into the computer and then out again (D-->A-->D-->A) but it is an option. Then I remembered that the input can be used with mini Toslink which theoretically should keep the signal digital until it hits the DAC (D-->A).

My question is, which do you think would sound better? Bypassing the USB DAC or utilizing forgotten features like mini Toslink?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back