Byerdynamic DT880 - 250 ohms or 600 ohms with my amp?
Jan 27, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #16 of 20
So the 300-Ohm Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX is more power demanding, then a 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphone.

Hello Purple,

This is not correct, I must say.
Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm is more power demanding than the Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX.

As a reference for 90dB SPL @1kHz the DT880 600 Ohm needs approximately three times the power needed for HD600/HD650/HD6XX.

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 20
No, sorry I should have said... The Matrix is plugged in using the RCA inputs from a Rega Mira 3 integrated amplifier. Sources are Rega RP6 turntable and Rega Apollo CD player (and a Denon cassette deck and A&R T21 tuner).

I've taken the (relatively small) plunge and ordered a used set of 600 ohm dt 880s. I 'think' the Matrix is designed for high impedance headphones but we'll see... If I don't get on with them I can flip them for probably very little financial loss...

Thanks,

What about a Rega Ear?
Keep it in the family

Jan 27, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #18 of 20
Hello Purple,
This is not correct, I must say.
Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm is more power demanding than the Sennheiser HD600/HD650/HD6XX.
As a reference for 90dB SPL @1kHz the DT880 600 Ohm needs approximately three times the power needed for HD600/HD650/HD6XX.
I deleted what I said about the Senn vs Beyer power comparison.

Jan 27, 2019 at 2:18 PM Post #19 of 20
If you decide to go with 250ohm, the upside is you might be able to play them on portable sources, but not very well. The 600ohm will be hopeless at that. It will always need the Matrix or equivalently powerful amp to sound good. On the other hand, with 600ohms you are getting the biggest damping factor in the industry. It's a short cut method to lowering distortion and resonance by stressing the amp rather than the transducer, since they typically have lower THD characteristics.

I normally use my DT880 600 Ohm paired with my FiiO X7 Mark II with AM2A amplification module. Low gain mode more often than not.
This is a portable source that's capable of pushing this headphone well over 105dB SPL which translates into very good headroom for comfortable HiFi levels (about 75dB average with peaks reaching 85-90dB)

I've also had the chance to use it with a much more affordable FiiO A5 amp, paired with multiple sources, and since the A5 is very powerful, it can drive the DT880 (600 Ohm) with plenty of ease (there's available power for more than 110dB SPL). So although it is hard to drive compared with headphones that are typically considered hard to drive (such as 300 Ohm Sennheisers and 250 Ohm Beyerdynamics) I don't find it to be a product that can only be used in a very specific condition and as you've stated correctly it's has great tolerance for high output impedance (since its has very high and relatively linear impedance compared with most other dynamic headphones in its class).

I think many devices can drive DT880 (600) very well these days, including the higher performing portable ones. That said, it's still arguably not as flexible as the 250 Ohm version.

With regards to the high output impedance being a good thing for this headphone I think that surely is up to preference, but it's indeed a headphone that can use some extra warmth and considering the shape of its impedance, that's exactly what high output impedance adds. I've done some testing in the past, mostly using my former DT880 250 Ohm paired with the headphone jack on an integrated amplifier with 470 Ohm output impedance, which is quite extreme. I've found interesting how well DT880 can handle those unusual conditions. For DT990 250 Ohm on the other hand it wasn't equally good since raised mid bass is not something you typically want for DT990, at least for reference purposes although it can be fun.

Jan 27, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 20
I think many devices can drive DT880 (600) very well these days, including the higher performing portable ones. That said, it's still arguably not as flexible as the 250 Ohm version.

With regards to the high output impedance being a good thing for this headphone I think that surely is up to preference, but it's indeed a headphone that can use some extra warmth and considering the shape of its impedance, that's exactly what high output impedance adds. I've done some testing in the past, mostly using my former DT880 250 Ohm paired with the headphone jack on an integrated amplifier with 470 Ohm output impedance, which is quite extreme. I've found interesting how well DT880 can handle those unusual conditions. For DT990 250 Ohm on the other hand it wasn't equally good since raised mid bass is not something you typically want for DT990, at least for reference purposes although it can be fun.

I don’t have a ton of experience with the DT880s on portable devices admittedly. I found I needed max volume on my Android phones, and still wanted a little more oomph, but that is also down to preference.

I agree with your sentiments on amplifier output impedance, it can certainly warm things up. Sometimes too much. My Denon receiver has an enormous output impedance due to using resistors off the main amp for power. I can’t say how much exactly because I haven’t measured it, but in my opinion it makes the DT880 sound uncharacteristically flabby. Even the DT880-600s can be underdamped on some receivers, depending on how the circuit was implemented. But the Beyers have a better chance of any other headphone of dealing with that. I'd be curious what 500ohm into a 30ohm headphone must sound like.

Generally, the current selection of dedicated headphones amps are miles better in design and spec than the tacked on receiver stages. And even budget amps can power DT880s very well. I bought a little Magni 3 recently, and the Beyers sound great on that. I still think looking for the lowest output impedance possible is a good idea. For one thing, high impedance headphones are no longer the trend. And secondly, whatever high output impedance accomplishes you can more easily and controllably accomplish with DSP like EQ or even timing control if one desired less aggressive attack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back