Byerdynamic DT880 - 250 ohms or 600 ohms with my amp?
Jan 23, 2019 at 9:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

moomaloo

New Head-Fier
Hi all. I 'think' I need to add a set of these to my collection... I currently use a first generation Matrix Audio M-Stage as my headphone amp and I wondered if anyone here had any opinion as to whether it has sufficient clout to successfully drive the 600 ohm version or would I be better with the 250 ohm version of the DT 880s...?

I currently use Sennheiser HD 650s, AKG 701's, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms) and Bowers and Wilkins P7's.

I don't 'need' another set of cans. But I'm crazy...!

Any opinions?

Also (if I may), do you think that a Schiit Lyr 2 would be a worthwhile 'upgrade' from my M-Stage? I currently have my eye on a used model... Or am I being even more foolish...?!

Many thanks.

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #2 of 20
Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 Ohm)

Happy Listening!
Me x3

Jan 23, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 20
Hi all. I 'think' I need to add a set of these to my collection... I currently use a first generation Matrix Audio M-Stage as my headphone amp and I wondered if anyone here had any opinion as to whether it has sufficient clout to successfully drive the 600 ohm version or would I be better with the 250 ohm version of the DT 880s...?
I currently use Sennheiser HD 650s, AKG 701's, Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (80 ohms) and Bowers and Wilkins P7's.
I don't 'need' another set of cans. But I'm crazy...!
Any opinions?
Also (if I may), do you think that a Schiit Lyr 2 would be a worthwhile 'upgrade' from my M-Stage? I currently have my eye on a used model... Or am I being even more foolish...?! Many thanks.
I do own both the DT880 Pro 250-Ohm and DT880 Premium 600-Ohm.
The 600-Ohm version is slightly better, but unless your using a receiver or a tube headphone amplifier, really no need to buy 600-Ohm headphones, as there are just as good headphones (other models and brands) that have a lower impedance (Ohm).

Jan 24, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #7 of 20
Thanks both. So... is the consensus that the 600 ohm version would be unnecessary/incompatible with my amplifier?
Any thoughts on my M-Stage vs Lyr2 query?
If the headphone amplifier can easily drive the 300-Ohm HD650, then chances are it would not have an issue with driving a 600-Ohm Beyerdynamic headphone.
My $60 FiiO E11 headphone amplifier, can drive the 600-Ohm Beyer, near max volume control.
(the DT880 headphone is fairly well balanced sound, slightly on the bright side)

Is your Matrix Audio M-Stage the really older version that does not come with a DAC chip and is amplifier only?

If the Schiit Lyr 2 is for a fair price, maybe you should buy that (sell off the Matrix Audio M-Stage)
Does the Lyr 2 come with or without the DAC?

Jan 26, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #9 of 20
It is, yes.

I'm not sure about the DAC with the Lyr 2; I'll need to check (I have no use for a DAC input)
We can assume the Matrix is plugged directly into a PC?

Jan 26, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #10 of 20
No, sorry I should have said... The Matrix is plugged in using the RCA inputs from a Rega Mira 3 integrated amplifier. Sources are Rega RP6 turntable and Rega Apollo CD player (and a Denon cassette deck and A&R T21 tuner).

I've taken the (relatively small) plunge and ordered a used set of 600 ohm dt 880s. I 'think' the Matrix is designed for high impedance headphones but we'll see... If I don't get on with them I can flip them for probably very little financial loss...

Thanks,

Jan 27, 2019 at 9:38 AM Post #12 of 20
It's not.

From easier to harder
DT880 32 ----> Sennheiser 300 ----> DT880 250 ----> DT880 600

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:01 AM Post #13 of 20
Why is it that Beyerdynamic's 600-Ohm is way easier to drive than Sennheiser 300-Ohm, what kinda sense does that make
Another factor (beside Ohms) that effects the power needed to drive headphones is the headphone's sensitivity.
(headphone sensitivity is just not talked about as much as Ohms)

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2019 at 10:21 AM Post #14 of 20
DT880 600 ohm is a very difficult headphone to drive. You just gotta find the right amp, but it might take you a while to find one..

Jan 27, 2019 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 20
Tyll's comparison of the 3 DT880 versions (including measurements) is still valid today and worth a read. https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...-dt-880-250-ohm-and-dt-880-600-ohm-headphones

Personally, I feel the DT880-600 is a headphone from yesteryear designed to operate under very specific condition, plugged into an integrated amp's headphone out or something of similarly high power/output impedance. I think that was the typical HiFi person usage scenario Beyer designed them for. Now, they stand as an outlier in the field. When an amp states "can power up to 600ohm", they're pretty much talking about the DT880. I've found my DT880-600 sounds the best out of very powerful amp with high output impedance. This would make sense considering its original design, as the high impedance was designed to match well with integrated amp headphone outputs that have up to 60ohm output impedance. But I certainly do not recommend getting an amp with high output impedance on purpose. Just trying to illustrate the somewhat archaic design considerations of the DT880.

If you decide to go with 250ohm, the upside is you might be able to play them on portable sources, but not very well. The 600ohm will be hopeless at that. It will always need the Matrix or equivalently powerful amp to sound good. On the other hand, with 600ohms you are getting the biggest damping factor in the industry. It's a short cut method to lowering distortion and resonance by stressing the amp rather than the transducer, since they typically have lower THD characteristics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back