Bye Bye lossy!
Jun 2, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #17 of 32
I'm doing the same. I used to pirate everything (128, etc... horrible quality). Then i "saw the light" if you will, and realized the whole concept of audio quality. I'm slowly beginning to buy CDs and I'm ripping in apple lossless.

Jun 2, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #19 of 32
That a boy!

Lossless is not harder to find, that's what music stores are for
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can say from experience that dBpoweramp with Accurip and a subscription to Perfectmedia ($5.00/year) will make it quick and painless.

Absolutely true, as long as you have a good optical drive. I just finished re-ripping my whole collection with dBpoweramp Reference and a brand new optical drive, and most CDs ripped and converted to FLAC in 3-4 minutes each, with ripping speeds reaching 39x. Almost no user intervention was required at all other than clicking the Eject button to open and close the drive. As a bonus, now all my HDCDs are identified and ripped in full quality
biggrin.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The thought of converting my whole library over to lossless is a terrifying one.
With over 1300 cds it would take a very long time.

What kills me is that in a another or two we'll all have access to relatively inexpensive solid state/flash terrabyte+ drives and lossy will become a thing of the past.

It does take a while, but if you chip away with 10 CDs a night, it's not too bad... It took me longer to get the album art and track names straightened out than for the computer to rip the CDs to FLAC...

I know its not solid state, but with a price around $100 for a 1TB HD, I would say that memory is pretty cheap right now. I finally sprung for a back up 1TB drive the other day (3/4 full of FLAC) to back-up my main music library. These files stream via Transporter (squeezebox) for my home system. I keep more lossy mp4 files (256kbps) via iTunes for iPod/portable use.

Jun 2, 2009 at 6:57 PM Post #24 of 32
EAC and FLAC!

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by dbfreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EAC and FLAC!

There are two good things about EAC: 1) it supports AccurateRip, and 2) the Compare WAVs tool is handy.

Besides those things, it's actually not a very secure CD ripper. Even XLD for OS X is better. EAC doesn't properly support C2 pointers, and in many years of testing the application, it has let through many, many errors without reporting them. It also takes about twice as long per CD when ripping to FLAC than dBpoweramp on computers with multiple cores.

Jun 2, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #26 of 32
I kind of did the same thing a while ago, but with only around 80 cds.
All ripped to flac on my 1tb external hard drive, then converted to mp3 v0 onto my s9 since I don't have the space for flac.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #28 of 32
Rip has done me my library at first from go out iTunes.
It seemed to have been 2001 when examining it.
I am surprised to have used iTunes fairly long.
It is a longer time frame where iPod is used. It is familiar to me.

Former
Considerable time hung in ripping in 128kbps by using slow at that time, Mac.
At that time, the storage capacity was not huge but was work with MP3 of 128kbps like present.

Current state
2000 CD or more (It is the difficult number of sheets that counts) are not thought that it tries to do ripping again though fast Mac and huge external storage are used.

It is a gradual pace though favorite CD raises the rate and ripping is done again.

Neither time nor the storage capacity permit it though the charm is felt in Apple Lossless.

Jun 4, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #29 of 32
I actually did this when i got my s9, except for a few albums that I didn't mind being mp3. I also have demos that are 128kpbs that will never be flac but I treasure them because a) they are demos and b) the imperfectness is vinyl-like that it adds to the beauty of the track. Right now, I have a relatively small library since i started from scratch but I doubt that will last long
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back