By the Numbers
May 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

hjf

New Head-Fier
If my stored music consists of CD's ripped at 16 bit/ 44100 HZ , what advantage would a DAC capable of 24/96  (not up-sampling) offer? Would the DAC sample the files at the higher rate or would it be limited to the ripped CD quality? If the higher sampling is possible would one hear the difference? Based on my limited knowledge of this subject, I presume that the higher sampling capability of the "better" DACs would primarily benefit music files recorded at higher rates, for example HD Tracks' stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm confused about the DAC specs that I see.

May 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 3
Not all DACs that do 24/96 upsample/oversample.

This topic has been debated thoroughly on this site, just run a search.

Many manufacturers have made claims and in some cases have posted information to backup their beliefs that a DAC that oversamples will have better sonics.

May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
If my stored music consists of CD's ripped at 16 bit/ 44100 HZ , what advantage would a DAC capable of 24/96  (not up-sampling) offer?
>> The possibility to play a 24/96 recording the time you will buy it. According to your 16/44.1 CDs there is no advantage.

Would the DAC sample the files at the higher rate or would it be limited to the ripped CD quality?
>> Many DACs do oversampling because it is meant that the reconstruction of the analog signal is getting easier..

If the higher sampling is possible would one hear the difference?
>> A hot question :) :)..

Based on my limited knowledge of this subject, I presume that the higher sampling capability of the "better" DACs would primarily benefit music files recorded at higher rates, for example HD Tracks' stuff.
>> See question 1 ..

Please correct me if I'm wrong since I'm confused about the DAC specs that I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back