By request: 595 Vs 600
May 13, 2004 at 1:58 AM Post #31 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong
What's with the hostility? ...Not everything has to be attacked on a personal level. You are not the saviour of critical listening, nor can you judge what I find relevant nor can you judge my musical experience or how I hear. No more than I can judge yours.

This is interesting in that when I wrote the original post there was no sense of hostility at all; nor do I read any in it in the light of hindsight. Doubly interesting in that another poster in another thread saw ridicule where none was intended--perhaps a bit of good-natured goshing but certainly not ridicule. Obviously what I write lands on the page with a somewhat different tone than was intended. I'll watch this in future, but would also urge readers to bear in mind that like many Australians (judging from the evidence) I come over as a little blunt sometimes. Apologies if that's the case. You are of course entitled to treat listening to music as a background activity. I simply assumed, perhaps not altogether unreasonably, that those enthusiastic enough to post here frequently were more foreground listeners.

May 13, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #32 of 62
I am also confused about the perceived hostility. I certainly didn't sense any until the replies came flying in.

May 13, 2004 at 4:21 AM Post #33 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312
Obviously what I write lands on the page with a somewhat different tone than was intended. I'll watch this in future, but would also urge readers to bear in mind that like many Australians (judging from the evidence) I come over as a little blunt sometimes.

This has happened to me as well. Some people seem to get defensive when somebody else has a different opinion to them, and see it as a personal attack.

May 13, 2004 at 5:32 AM Post #34 of 62
pp312, I too have found your posts to be of a good-natured tone, reasonable, and informative.
Some of the replies you've received (esp. GS's) have seemed inexplicably rude and defensive.
600s make me sleepy, but perhaps the 595 will work for me; hope to hear some soon.

Peace,

David

May 13, 2004 at 6:02 AM Post #35 of 62
cool.gif

May 13, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #36 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Last time I checked - it was pp312 who kept commenting on the credibility of my opinions and basically trashed my opinions. I really dont care what he thinks but that isnt the way you conduct a debate. I never named him until he started pointing me out in every post of his in a negative way.

Actually I'm pretty sure I never trashed your opinions. Questioned them maybe, even challenged them, but trashed them? When I trash people's opinions I generally remember, and I don't remember that at all. And as for pointing you out in every post in a negative way...nope, don't remember doing that either.
However, I will allow that my particular style can be taken as sarcasm. This is a thing that comes up occasionally when I've posted elsewhere. So I can how see different people have taken the same post in different ways. I'd urge you therefore to give me the benefit of the doubt. Your credentials here are impeccable and the level of your equipment makes your opinions extremely valuable. Hopefully we can have some useful debate without malice. (Which of course won't prevent me parrying when you thrust, and vice versa!).

May 13, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #37 of 62
gsferrari, you think you are getting singled out, the fact is you are the only one, so keep up posting, no one will stop you, but I can say there are quite a few people will strongly disagree with you. Also, don't discredit people's views based on what you think about their equipment.

May 13, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #38 of 62
I haven't heard them but the 595s sound to me like a slightly cleaner version of the 497s. I think I'm going to go with the 580s since they are pretty much like the 600s except cheap. Plus once you start adding better gear... How much differnce is there in "fowardness" anyhow? I notice peopple on this forum tend to exagerate...

May 13, 2004 at 8:54 AM Post #39 of 62
I was just wondering how much leakage there was compared to the 497s. I'm a little worried as to how much these leak and my friend has the 497s so I can get the basic idea if you can compare the two. Thanks!

May 13, 2004 at 10:59 AM Post #40 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by saiRex
I was just wondering how much leakage there was compared to the 497s. I'm a little worried as to how much these leak and my friend has the 497s so I can get the basic idea if you can compare the two. Thanks!

The 595's have a LOT of leakage and I apologize for not mentioning that in the review. The leakage is similar to the hd-600 but I do not know how it would compare to a 497. I owned one for about 2 days and decided to go higher on the senn line
smily_headphones1.gif

Time for the bickering to stop people. PP312 I felt like your whole background music thing was a bit pretentious, but I brought it on myself. Read my altered statement above, it says the same thing but doesn't minimize my opinion of any types of music. Again the point of my review was to tell people how I use my headphones so that prospective buyers could get an idea of what each phone is good for. I may edit my review to mention that the 600 creates a somewhat false 3d image, and that when I want to listen to an artist's intended production I prefer the 595.

May 13, 2004 at 11:03 AM Post #41 of 62
That hostility that was around head-fi a while ago is now creeping back. We can't debate about a sound without it getting personal. I understand the point that GS was trying to make about sources. But then when it's said in such a way, then of course you get defensive. Nothing will convince you how much source matters like going to a shop or a head-fi meet and taking a good long listen. And then after all that, maybe you're happy with your setup. Source matters, but so does system synergy. It was also kind of snobbish to say only those with expensive gear need to bother posting at head-fi. Someone with portable gear or gear you consider subpar may not have the money you do, the space in the room that you do, or maybe they're just pausing on the road to Upgradeville. It doesn't make their opinions any less valid. It just means this is what that headphone sounds like with that system. I said that in another thread, it doesn't hurt to say it again.

I'm not attacking you GS, because I knew what you ment and I'll be honest and say that I laughed. But you and PP obviously are grating on each other's nerves somehow. PP says one thing, GS retaliates, and so on.. So if we could just agree to disagree and let that be that?

On the "how I listen to music" debate, I have to say it depends. Certainly there are times when music becomes backround music. But most of the time it's front and center in my mind. I can listen critically with the Senn 600s, but hey that's just me.

But back to the topic at hand... on the one hand I'd like to try out the HD595 with my system, but on the other, I don't find the HD600 too lacking. Except that I did hear the HD650 with this source and I gotta say...wow. I think maybe instead of pausing at the HD595, I should just skip to the HD650. But then again there's always curiosity and..who knows?
600smile.gif

May 13, 2004 at 12:17 PM Post #42 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reck45
I haven't heard them but the 595s sound to me like a slightly cleaner version of the 497s. I think I'm going to go with the 580s since they are pretty much like the 600s except cheap. Plus once you start adding better gear... How much differnce is there in "fowardness" anyhow? I notice peopple on this forum tend to exagerate...

Unfortunately this is the kind of false impression these posts create unless words are chosen carefully. I've owned the 497 and they are not in the same universe as the 595. The 595 is not a cleaner version of the 497; it's just a vastly better phone in every way, including comfort. As for the 595/600 debate, Headroom probably sum it up best; check out their comments. Whatever you might read to the contrary the 595 and 600 are comparable but different--horses for courses. As for "forwardness", I never found the 595 more forward than the 600, just brighter and better delineated. Perhaps as a result of this I am more aware of depth and instrument placement in the soundstage than with the 600--as indeed Headroom suggest.

I fear you're right about exaggeration.

May 13, 2004 at 12:42 PM Post #44 of 62
Not meaning to hijack this thread, but could someone do a comparison between the HD595's and the DT-880's? Just curious, since some seem to prefer the 880's over the HD580/600. Nothing overly extensive... just outline the most obvious sonical differences. Thanks.

May 13, 2004 at 2:05 PM Post #45 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312
Unfortunately this is the kind of false impression these posts create unless words are chosen carefully. I've owned the 497 and they are not in the same universe as the 595. The 595 is not a cleaner version of the 497; it's just a vastly better phone in every way, including comfort.

I have the 555s but this statement still stands. The 497s are not in the same range as these to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back