BX5s for Metal Music?
Aug 7, 2011 at 12:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

burningv

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I have a pair of Audioengine a5s and I must say that I'm very impressed with the various music genres I have played on them except for metal. The highs seem so muffled and overpowered by the lows and mids. So right now I'm planning to sell them for some BX5s, since I heard the highs are way more crisp. This is especially important to me since I listen to a lot of 80s thrash metal and death metal. Another option would be to get a DAC like the HRT Streamer II+ for the a5s, but I don't know if it will improve the high end that much. Are there any other speakers/monitors that are better for metal? Some DAC recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Check out the CX5. They are now going for $150/ea from several dealers, and I've heard raves about them. Will be getting a set myself. As for volume control, any sort of passive level control will work - ie something like this. Just be aware that the cheapiest ones will have significant balance issues at the lowest volume levels, all cheap pots are that way. Plan on spending more than $15.

http://www.amazon.com/SM-Pro-Audio-Attenuator-Standard/dp/B002IDT0F8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back