BX5a alternative (need screens)
Feb 2, 2011 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rat Salad

100+ Head-Fier

I am not a DJ or professional sound guy, but I am "the music guy" for small events involving my kids (cub scouts, kids car washs, class picnics, ).  Its a mix between small hall and small outdoor events.  

Up til now, the AV30's I have, have done decent job, but the musical taste of the kids is getting a bit more complex (less kids bop more rock, tame hip-hop) and the venues are getting a tad bigger. 

I think bx5a is a good step up for the next couple of years (after that I assume the kids will do their own) but the open cone presents an issue.

I really want to just toss these speakers in my huge messenger bag with my laptop and dac/amp but the BX5a does not have screens.

I like the dual amp of BX5a and the general quality of sound from M-audio.  

Is there agood alternative (300.00 range, music oriented sound)

Feb 2, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 8
Maybe

PPHP898A Pyle Pro?   They are quite a bit bigger.. but can pull them down for 250.00 a pair and they look indestructible. 

I worry they will not be musical.

Feb 5, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #5 of 8

Yes Thank you for yuour reply.

I was using av30 to fair success so I thought any upgrade would do (its really all kids stuff).  But now.. having rekindled an old audio hobby, I keep creeping upward.

I have been looking at Used NHT M-00.  I think this is the ticket.. i just wonder if these end up being good for playing MP3.  I know some higher end monitors can be unforgiving.

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #6 of 8
So probably my last post on this issue.  So I hope anyone with opinios will reply.

I can get my hands on ADAM A5 (not a5x) or NHT M-00.  Unfortunatley I cannot listen to either. 

I do need powered speakers.

I think (based on reviews), the NHT may be better for music listening (not as fatiging and better with MP3) than the ADAMs

Thoughts-- or perchance a guess based on spec.'??

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #7 of 8
I use a pair of ADAM A3X on my desktop.

They replaced a pair of M-Audio AV40 when the capacitors went bad (which they have a tendency to do in M-Audio speakers including the larger BX range -be warned).

The ADAMs are 'proper' studio monitors and I can understand why you might prefer the way M-Audio have massaged the sound to suit a more 'audiophile' audience. At least at first.

It's a clever design. M-Audio tend to roll off the low bass comparatively early and compensate with a nice 'bump' around 120Hz. They also take a little bite out of the high/mids which tends to disguise imperfections on old vinyl or poorly recorded, low bitrate samples for example. It works. They sound nice with virtually any input. KKR Rokits are similarand i don't think you'd go far wrong with a pair of RP5 v2.

The ADAMs on the other hand go lower, flatter for a given driver size and, if anything, have tendency to overemphasise typical defects in the mid/high region. After all. That's their job. If there is something wrong with your signal then the ADAMs will let you know. I'd take the ADAMs any day. Partly because I can make them sound like the M-Audios with the aid of software EQ plug ins - but I cannot make the M-Audios sound like the ADAMs.

Off hand I don't know of any good quality, powered speakers in your price range that feature steel grills over all the drivers.

It's a shame you cannot afford to spend a little more money because these would be ideal for your application.

http://www.mackie.com/products/srm350/

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 8
Yea look great but.. these are outta the price range... Betya they would do the trick quite nice!!

I actually went on a hunt for used ADAM a5 (NOT A5X) as they are grilled up and going about 250 each but no sellers (guitar center) were giving up any warranty (so 0 warranrty)

for 250 ea. I ordered a couple of NHT M-00's (nice 5-year warranty). 

A bit over my budget but I figured they are mine long term so might as well...  I like the midfield switch, figured this would steer the units a buit more to the home hi-fi side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back