BW P9 vs Denon AH-D7200
May 2, 2018 at 9:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

charlie875578

Head-Fier
Anyone have any thoughts on these 2? I currently have BW P5 and VModa M100s. I listen to mostly rock and classic rock (lossless files). I listen to a lot of live recordings. I would probably use these at times on the PS4 for some single player games or movies/tv. Of my current HPs I like the P5 for my music taste, but I do find them a little more fatiguing compared to the M100s. I tend to use the M100's for the gym or even running now as I like them but they're not as amazing as I was hoping.

I bought the M100s a while back when I needed to sell my Denon AH D5000s (which i LOVED). I would listen to live music or watch concerts and these gave me a feeling of being there. The M100s lack that, IMO.

So I do like bass in my music, and

I owned the Denon D5100s which were underwhelming (making me hesitant to buy 5200s or 7200s). I bought the M100's hoping they be close enough to the AH-D5000s but to me, while they are nice, they fall short across the board.

I have a small desktop amp and I would like to get something like the AudioQuest DragonFly for the portability (anyone use one of these?).

I like that the BW have more portability but my main concern is having a decent home set up that delivers. With the P9s I'm concerned i'd be paying for the looks. I also wonder if I don't have the power to drive the D7200. Especially those times where I just want to lay on the couch listening through my phone with the AudioQuest (or Fiio K1??)

Any thoughts on how these compare would be great =)

Thanks all

May 2, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 6
IMO the 7200 are superior. I had the P9, then bought the 7200 and never looked back and sold the P9. P9 are an acquired taste, owing to the mid-bass hump which is certainly noticeable and, for certain people, make or break.
To my ears the 7200 sound gorgeous, with deep lows that never veil the rest of the spectrum, very resolving, great soundstage. They're such musical cans. Certainly not neutral, but IMO much more so than P9 and without being boring in the least. Opinions differ, though. It boggles my mind, but some people find them bland :wink:

Keep in mind as well that for a non negligible number of people, the Denon present a comfort problem related to the headband. I solved that by affixing a Pilot Pad on them. It looks silly, but does the job. Most comfy headphones I've owned once that was done.

As always, you should hear both if you can, though.

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #3 of 6
IMO the 7200 are superior. I had the P9, then bought the 7200 and never looked back and sold the P9. P9 are an acquired taste, owing to the mid-bass hump which is certainly noticeable and, for certain people, make or break.
To my ears the 7200 sound gorgeous, with deep lows that never veil the rest of the spectrum, very resolving, great soundstage. They're such musical cans. Certainly not neutral, but IMO much more so than P9 and without being boring in the least. Opinions differ, though. It boggles my mind, but some people find them bland :wink:

Keep in mind as well that for a non negligible number of people, the Denon present a comfort problem related to the headband. I solved that by affixing a Pilot Pad on them. It looks silly, but does the job. Most comfy headphones I've owned once that was done.

As always, you should hear both if you can, though.

Thanks for the response. I can order the P9 and return those if needed but i can't find the 7200 available anywhere near me to listen to.

I'm definitely looking for something musical and not analytical. Are the 7200 significantly more demanding amp wise??

Sep 6, 2019 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 6
Late addition to this thread. I've owned the AH-D7200's for some time and recently got the Astell & Kern Kann Cube. Let me tell you, the pairing of these two is a marriage made in heaven. the Cube brings out the greatness in these cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back