Buzzing problem in headphones from piano - suggestions?
Nov 2, 2011 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sentient

Head-Fier
I've known for a long time that playing my Casio PS-20 digital piano through headphones gave a constant small buzz/hiss, but it's starting to annoy me now since I've been doing more active listening recently. I currently use Sennheiser HD 202s, and I have a pair of FA-002w on the way. What I'm worried is that this buzzing is going to sound even worse on the FA-002w given their superior quality.

I've never used a DAC, but from what I've read that sounds like that would be the solution if the buzzing were coming from a laptop or computer, but I don't think there's anyway to override the built in DAC on the keyboard (I'm assuming it has one based off my understanding of these things). So, would an amp be any good at cancelling out the buzzing?

My other idea is to use the midi-out ports the piano has and try running those into a DAC since I already have a midi to USB cable.. but I really have no idea if that will work at all.. it's more of a shot in a dark.

(Also, sorry if this is the wrong forum, headphones seemed like the closest fit seeing as I don't actually know what the solution (if any) is going to be.)

Nov 2, 2011 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 3
A few questions first:

1.)  Do you use another device besides the Digital Piano while you hear the buzz?
     a.)  If Yes then be sure to plug both of the power cables for these devices into the same outlet.  This will eliminate any ground loops.

2.)  Are you using an adapter with your headphones to be able to plug into your Piano?  Be sure it is a stereo or TRS connector because an adapter without a ground can cause this issue.

Many devices such as these have two problems.  The first is that the power train is not separated well enough from the audio components and interference / noise develops.  The second is that the many of these devices do not have good grounding if any which causes a ton of noise.

The DAC inside the piano may also be a high noise component so using a different DAC may help, but I am not sure if you can bypass the DAC inside the piano to improve upon its performance.

Nov 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks for your help..

For #1, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by other devices, but I think the answer is no. The piano is connected directly to the wall via a two prong (no ground). The only other device plugged into the wall is lamp.. Thanks for noting this though, it made remember that I'm not using the standard power adapter (I bought the piano in Ecuador and I had to go with what worked best). In fact the one I have sits rather loosely inside of the end and it's very easy to knock out. It is tight enough to stay and make a good connection, but just barely. I might see if getting the right adapter would do anything (and if it doesn't I would at least finally have the right adapter for my piano).

For #2, unfortunately no.

I need to learn more about how MIDI works.. Anyone have any ideas on if a MIDI to USB cable (which I have) into a DAC would work? I'll try running MIDI cable >> USB >> laptop >> headphones tonight and see what happens. (Although I think my laptop has a buzz too, just a different type, more intermittent and with a varying pitch.) If that works then I would just have to do all of this to make my piano sound good: Piano >> MIDI cable >> USB >> laptop >> dac >> headphones >> happiness... I think.. I wonder if there would be any lag after all those steps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back