buzzing noise
Jan 27, 2013 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

reddragon

Headphoneus Supremus
im using my friends dared mp5 tube amp, audio files are lossless, source is my ibasso dx100, line out cable is a 10 bucks 3.5 to rca cable from radioshack, headphone is beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohm. i keep on hearing this buzzing noise, is it supposed to be there because its a tube amp? i previously have no experience with tube amps. i did not have buzzing noise when i used to use fiio e17 with an ipod though

Jan 27, 2013 at 8:22 PM Post #2 of 12
Does it go away when you touch the amp? Coud be electrical interference or a ground loop problem. Anything else plugged into same wall/strip/circuit as the amp?

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:
Does it go away when you touch the amp? Coud be electrical interference or a ground loop problem. Anything else plugged into same wall/strip/circuit as the amp?

i dont think it goes away when i touch it and i have other things plugged into the same wall outlet too... when i adjust the volume, theres more noise, when i put on some music, the noise is a little less noticeable, probably because its being covered by the music. on quiet passages, the noise becomes quite noticeable and sometimes may even be louder than the music. 

Jan 27, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 12
i had a powerline adapter plugged into same wall as my magni amp and it caused a ton of static even without the RCA cables plugged into magni, just the power cable.  Try plugging amp into its own socket on wall and then everything else onto a power strip on a different wall outlet, and then try different disconnecting different items and see if/when it goes away. 

Jan 28, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:
i had a powerline adapter plugged into same wall as my magni amp and it caused a ton of static even without the RCA cables plugged into magni, just the power cable.  Try plugging amp into its own socket on wall and then everything else onto a power strip on a different wall outlet, and then try different disconnecting different items and see if/when it goes away. 

i tried that before but had nothing playing on the background and the buzzing noise was definitely there. 

Jan 29, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #6 of 12
If it is a tube amp, it could be a tube.  I think tube amps are noisier than solid state.  I've only heard one tube amp that did not make a buzzing sound.  I use low impedance headphone though.

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
im using my friends dared mp5 tube amp, audio files are lossless, source is my ibasso dx100, line out cable is a 10 bucks 3.5 to rca cable from radioshack, headphone is beyerdynamic dt990 pro 250ohm. i keep on hearing this buzzing noise, is it supposed to be there because its a tube amp? i previously have no experience with tube amps. i did not have buzzing noise when i used to use fiio e17 with an ipod though

Do you still have this noise if you unplug the source cable?

If so, there may be something wrong with the amp. Without source all you should hear is a faint white noise at full volume, but surely no buzzing. 

Otherwise it would point to either a ground loop (if your source is also AC powered) or a faulty cable. 

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #9 of 12
Do you still have this noise if you unplug the source cable?

If so, there may be something wrong with the amp. Without source all you should hear is a faint white noise at full volume, but surely no buzzing. 

Otherwise it would point to either a ground loop (if your source is also AC powered) or a faulty cable. 

Unplug the cable is still the same. My source is not AC powered. My cable is a cheap 10 bucks cable from radioshack, may very well be the cable

Jan 30, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:
Unplug the cable is still the same. My source is not AC powered. My cable is a cheap 10 bucks cable from radioshack, may very well be the cable

Your source isn't AC powered, but your amp is, right? That may be an issue (ground loop). Have you tried using other AC outlets in your place? Is it the same everywhere? Try switching off other appliances in your room (and the kitchen, if possible), and see if it still happens.

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 12
sorry guys, have been pretty busy with school lately so havent been on for a while but no i have not tried it anywhere else, my amp is ac powered. thanks for the suggestion, i will report back once i have tried that, thanks 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back