Buzzing from speakers and headphones when GPU is under load
Apr 13, 2019 at 9:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nothatso

New Head-Fier
So I know this isn't a completely uncommon issue, but finding a resolution for it seems nigh impossible since the situation is never exactly the same. I've read many threads on several forums to no avail.

For some time I've been dealing with a buzzing sound coming from my JBL 305p MKII speakers whenever I try to play any remotely GPU-taxing game. I just kind of lived with it, occasionally looking for a solution and never finding one that worked for me. I could always just slap on a pair of headphones and the buzz never seemed to carry over. However I recently got a pair of MrSpeakers AFC to try on my setup, the first planars I've plugged into it, and I noticed I could hear the same buzzing I previously only noticed from my speakers, though it was a bit quieter. (the speakers were powered off, FWIW)

My setup is PC > USB > Topping D50 > RCA > Burson Fun > RCA > Speakers (or 1/4" to headphones)

I previously used a different GPU, amp, and DAC and had the same issue with those as well. Each DAC also came with it's own USB cable so I suppose I have tried different cables on those. I tried toggling Vsync in games as some on other forums suggested and it didn't help. I tried plugging the amp, DAC, and speakers into a different outlet from the PC - still no luck.

Any ideas? Am I just screwed by bad wiring in my house?

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 15
Have you tried connecting the PC, to the topping D50 DAC, using optical?

Apr 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 15
I tried plugging in some IEMs as well, they also buzz. Dynamic driver headphones I've used with it (Fidelio X2, HD6XX, DT 1990) did not have an audible buzz. So it seems to only effect low impedance devices?

The volume level also has no effect on how much buzzing is coming through.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 15
What is the make and model of the motherboard?
Low cost sound card, Asus Xonar DG or DGX sound card will give you an optical port.

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 15
ASRock B250M Pro4
Yep, no S/PDIF optical port or even a motherboard connector for adding S/PDIF optical/coaxial port.
So may only suggestion (so far) is to try a low cost sound card and optical cable.

Apr 13, 2019 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 15
PC > USB > Topping D50

Issue is here as PurpleAngel mentioned. Noise getting into the USB on your motherboard. Solutions are new motherboard or soundcard, soundcard being the cheapest and easiest.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:11 AM Post #10 of 15
It can be fed directly into the DAC if the soundcard has optical out. But it is likely that USB out would work as well.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #11 of 15
I might look into doing that, though I've also thought about a MOBO/CPU upgrade recently. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I don't think a sound card is viable since my graphics card is the size of an aircraft carrier and sits over the PCIe x1 slot, so I guess I'll live with it until I see a good deal on a good CPU and motherboard.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #12 of 15
A PCIe 1x card can be used in a 16x slot, you don't have to use the 1x slot.

If you aren't doing this already, set your software, OS, and DAC volume all at 100%, adjust the volume from your amp. This will minimize the impact of the noise in your current setup.

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Can the sound card be fed (via optical) directly into the DAC without issues? Or would I have to remove the DAC from the chain in that scenario?
You would connect the sound card directly to your DAC, using optical cable.

Apr 14, 2019 at 11:02 AM Post #14 of 15
I might look into doing that, though I've also thought about a MOBO/CPU upgrade recently. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Edit: Upon closer inspection I don't think a sound card is viable since my graphics card is the size of an aircraft carrier and sits over the PCIe x1 slot, so I guess I'll live with it until I see a good deal on a good CPU and motherboard.
The Asus Xonar (PCI) DG will work in the PCI slot, the Xonar (PCI-E) DGX will work in a PCI-E X1 or x4 or X8 or X16 PCI-E slot.
A Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (PCI-E) will give you SBX Headphone surround sound.

Apr 14, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #15 of 15
Unfortunately there's only a small space between my graphics card and where the sound card would sit using the remaining 16x slot (like maybe one centimeter), so it would effectively be blocking at least one of the graphics card fans and my system is air cooled. The Xonar would probably only partially block one of the fans, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am with any blocking at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back