Buzzing at low volumes on Sundara - cable or headphone problem?
Jan 8, 2021 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Attalal

New Head-Fier
I recently re-acquired some Sundara as they thought they'd do well with my new headphone amp - Burson Soloist SL Mk2. The bundled cable is too short for my needs, so I swapped in my Amiron cable as they're both 3.5mm connections.

However, I have noticed that at lower volumes on the dial there's a constant buzz/hum in the background. This gets louder until around 10 o'clock on the pot, when there's an audible click/pop, then the hum completely goes. This happens on both low and high gain.

Unfortunately, the point where it disappears is slightly too loud for all-day listening.

What's weirder is the following:
  • If I use the stock cable, there's no buzz and pop
  • If I don't quite fully insert the Amiron cable into the Sundara, there's no buzz or pop
  • If I use the Sundara with the Amiron cable on my stereo amplifier, there's no buzz or pop
  • I don't hear any buzz or pop with my Amiron using the Amiron cable or any other headphones I've used on the amp (so I don't think it's an amp problem
So, what's at fault and how should I fix it?

Is the cable causing a bad connection in the Sundara? If so, is it better to get a replacement cable for the Sundara and maybe have an 'upgrade' cable that I can use on both Amiron and Sundara, or just get an extension to add to the stock cable? I'm perfectly happy with the Beyer cable and haven't been itching to spend £100 on cable. I also don't want to spend money on cables if they just have the same problem...

Are the sockets in the driver janky perhaps? If so, is the best way forward to spin the HFM quality lottery and see about a replacement... even though it doesn't (currently) happen with the stock cable?

Or is there a fault in the cable that's somehow only audible via the Sundara?!

Anything else I haven't considered?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back