Buzz with my Grado?!?
Dec 9, 2004 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Anarchris

100+ Head-Fier
I recently bought a pair of Grado's from a Head-fier here, and upon listening for a few minutes I noticed a plastic buzz on the left driver everytime I heard bass. I am dissapointed to say the least. Has this happened to anyone? And if so, was anyone able to fix it manually or did they just ship them back to Grado and have them fixed.

This should have been a happy day for me

frown.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:51 AM Post #2 of 8
You probably have a hair or something in the drivers. Just blow through the cups, or if it's serious, open up the cups and clean the drivers of misc. crap.

Dec 9, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 8
it could be grado grattle. try to open the cup & look for abdormal crinkles or dents in the clear plastic transducer. they are easy to spot. sometimes you can carefully suck them out. it is common with blasting bass. grado will fix them for a price.

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 8
That would make sense if it was happening on both drivers. But it is only the left side that is buzzing. The right side sounds great. Is there a way to get into the driver?

Dec 9, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchris
That would make sense if it was happening on both drivers. But it is only the left side that is buzzing. The right side sounds great. Is there a way to get into the driver?

no, the grattle happens on the driver that goes bad. yes there is a way to open the earcup -- very carefully. try an excto knife to cut your way thru the glue & carefully pry open the cup. no guarantees. i have a 50% success ratio opening the cups cleanly. be patient & your success rate should be much higher than mine.

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 8
Before you go that far, just try blowing some air through the cups.

BTW, guys, isn't grattle the term used for the noise made due to the cord, in regards to where it enters the earcups? It makes a rattling noise since the loose cord hits the side of the entry area. I always that this was the official "grattle".
confused.gif

Dec 9, 2004 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, I looked through past posts about the similar problem, and I tried letting the headphones play a bass heavy song with the volume up higher. Now I am not getting any noise out of the left driver. So I guess there won't be any more do it yourself fix-ups.
Next issue. If I cannot get the receipt off of the past owner, am I going to have to pay fully to get the driver fixed. If so, how much will this cost?
Sincerely, one bummed soul.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back