buzz/hum with new Nuforce Icon DAC and akg k550
May 19, 2014 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

mmarko135

New Head-Fier
hi
ive bought yesterday nuforce icon dac/headphone amplifier and akg k550 headphones.
When i listen to a song via that on the foobar(laptop) , after a few minutes a hum starts instead of the music.
I must then turn the dac off, when i turn him on again then the music plays normal 2 or 3 minutes and after that it becames to start humming again.
When i connect this dac with cd player on an analogue way than it plays normal without that problem
But with the cd i dont get a good sound like i get it with the pc
when i took out the batterycharger of the pc (ive read on the net that many solved their problem on that way)
the problem with the hum still there.
So i wanna know how to solve the problem

May 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #4 of 39
It has a charger so I assume this is a laptop? Not sure if anything will work barring a totally new computer. On a regular desktop you can try using a soundcard with SPDIF output to bypass the USB (or heck, get a better motherboard), but in this case neither is possible. Any external sound card is still going to be the same thing as the Icon DAC in this case. 

In any case how was the CDP connected "in an analogue way"? I looked it up on NuForce's website and it showed the system diagram with arrows pointing from the Icon DAC's RCA going to an amp or powered speakers, and the inputs going into it were essentially all computers into its USB input (no coaxial or toslink as input). Did you use an RCA to 3.5mm cable to use its portable player input? Or is this actually the Icon HDP? 

May 21, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 39
i ve sould the problem with the buzz/hum
i reinstalled the driver and i connect the usb of the mouse in the usb slot on the laptop where the usb of the dac was,
and the one from the dac in the slot where the mouse was.
(just to answer your previous question when i connected the dac analogue with the laptop it didnt have the same problem like the connection via usb cable)
I dont know where the problem was ,the most important thing is the music doesnt have any problems with the buzz/hum.
I must say that i have the feeling that at that period, when i have had problems with the hum, the sound quality was better than now.
Can anyone tell me what should i do to get the maximum of the sound from this dac
By foobar-preferences-output-device - i set asio:NuforceUSBaudio as the output device,
here is what by foobar under asio is
have i done everything correct
here are my foobar components
,spdif  interface properties(general , supported formats , levels ,advanced )
Can someone who knows much about such things see the pictures of my settings and say what i must change or put
and what i must do to get the best of the dac sound?
My laptop is HP 250 G1 Notebook PC , i have windows 8 on him and he has 64bit
Protegemaniac its nuforce icon dac
greetings

May 21, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #7 of 39
  i ve changed to wasapi now since someone told me thet that the best driver is, but the sound is the same

use whatever one works the best for you. I use wasapi because asio isn't stable for me. 

And as for the pictures you posted, i would disable the encoded formats that does not work with your dac. 

May 22, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #8 of 39
i ve installed asio again since i saw  that it is the same
(some people told me that with wasapi i wont have the buzz/hum problem like with asio, but if i will have again with that problems i can go back to wasapi again)
imeem which are those encoded format that doesnt work with dac and will anything happen or will it have impact on the sound if i dont disable it?
The most important thing for all ,since i have had allready installed the foobar from before,that
i needed to download this nuforce driver and asio or wasapi and that s all?
I need nothing else beside that to install ?
Should i change something by the settings by my laptop and foobar to get the best sound from the dac or are
that all small details that wont have any effect on the sound?

May 22, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #10 of 39

imeem which are those encoded format that doesnt work with dac and will anything happen or will it have impact on the sound if i dont disable it?

go to every single one of them and press test. If it plays improperly like a loud static or white noise, then u know that ur dac doesn't support it. 

May 22, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #11 of 39
Try a different usb cable.

May 22, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #12 of 39
for every format under encoded formats i have get the same answer:windows was unable to play the test tone.Support for this will be disabled.
For everything under sample rates i have get the question did you here a sound from the receiver, since i have heard the sound from every rate i answered all with
yes and it automatically put a tack near it.
But after solving that i didnt hear any change on the sound.
Can anyone please answer my question from before:
what should i set as my default device (its under control panel-hardware and sound-sound-playback)
spdif interface (dac) or speakers????

May 22, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #13 of 39
redcarmoo did you write that because of my problem with buzz/hum?
If so , than you didnt read that i solved that problem.
what should i set as my default device (its under control panel-hardware and sound-sound-playback)
redcarmoo since you have nuforce icon like i do , can you write me what i must change or set at my laptop and foobar settings to get
the best sound from my dac and please answer me the question about the default device

May 22, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #14 of 39

upload a picture here. 

May 22, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 39
redcarmoo did you write that because of my problem with buzz/hum?
If so , than you didnt read that i solved that problem.

redcarmoo since you have nuforce icon like i do , can you write me what i must change or set at my laptop and foobar settings to get
the best sound from my dac and please answer me the question about the default device

Choose DAC.

Glad you got things fixed. You will only have a choice of three or so in the Windows default device in sound on control panel. It should show. All pretty easy stuff. No need to change setting on Foobar. The program is great at default settings, though some mess with the latency. You should be good to go. Enjoy!:xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back